Editing a Word Document.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welshwizard

Honorary Life Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I have received a "Word Document" as an attachment in an E-mail.

I need to edit this document, but I am unable to do so. It seems locked.

I can't even copy and paste it.

Oh, It also has diagrams that I need too.

When I direct my mouse to where I want to edit, the curser automatically goes back to the top left of the page, where the text starts.

Does anyone know how I can overcome this please?

Many thanks,

Welshy.

along the same lines.

is it possible to cut and paste a JPEG .?

I have loadsa these that contain text and I need to cut some text, (I need to paste it into a translation application).

thanks...

along the same lines. is it possible to cut and paste a JPEG .?

I have loadsa these that contain text and I need to cut some text, (I need to paste it into a translation application).

thanks...
Dunno Mate, But I know that Mine is Password protected. :_|

I had to re-type them all out, Personally.

I had thought about that, but the script is in JAPANESE..... FFS

I dont have a japanse keyboard unfortunately. :_|

LOL

wiringEDIT1.jpg

I know a Japanese Chap with a Japanese Keyboard, Bit of a rogue though.

If you don't mind that - I will give you his name.....

Tommy take-a-motto.

:D

Guys,I have received a "Word Document" as an attachment in an E-mail.

I need to edit this document, but I am unable to do so. It seems locked.

I can't even copy and paste it.

Many thanks,

Welshy.
Does this display a window, asking for a password, that is:

Read only or password to edit?

If so, forget it...

You 100% sure it is a MS Word doc WW?

Sure it's not a PDF file?

I can only be password protected and you can get password breaker software for about $40, use Google to search.

If you have a half decent scanner with OCR you should be able to scan it and direct the scan out output to Word such that it creates a new Word file. You will have to make small corrections as the OCR is not 100% accurate but it is FAR easier that typing in the whole thing again. Then yo will need to scan the diagrams and put these back in manually as jpegs.

You 100% sure it is a MS Word doc WW?Sure it's not a PDF file?

I can only be password protected and you can get password breaker software for about $40, use Google to search.

If you have a half decent scanner with OCR you should be able to scan it and direct the scan out output to Word such that it creates a new Word file. You will have to make small corrections as the OCR is not 100% accurate but it is FAR easier that typing in the whole thing again. Then yo will need to scan the diagrams and put these back in manually as jpegs.
Hello Wab. Yes mate - it is Definately a Word Doc, They are Passwordword lockable, Mate.

In word - Tools -> Protect document.

What is an OCR, Mate?

Thanks,

Welshy.

There are plenty of places offering unlocking programs WW, for example -

http://www.password-find.com/software_word_excel_password.php

OCR = Optical Character Recognition. Basically most scanners are able to scan a document character by character and 'recognises' each character and reconstitute it for use in programs such as MS Word and hence a file that you can edit. I use that feature a lot on the scanner I have and it is a nothing special scanner. Some scanners do have problems with certain fonts but all the popular fonts are supported on the better scanners.

Have a look-see at your scanners "Destination" options, there will be things like 'File', 'Printer', 'Picture Library' etc. and I bet you will see 'Word' as one of the destination options. If not send it to me and I will scan it as a Word file for you (on Monday or during next week) you have my email address.

Have a look-see at your scanners "Destination" options, there will be things like 'File', 'Printer', 'Picture Library' etc. and I bet you will see 'Word' as one of the destination options.

How do I do that, please Wab?

I am running Windoze XP.

It has little to do with Windoze WW, it will be an option within the scanner application when it is running.

Do you have a scanner?

If not send it to me WW I will take it to work and run it though the scanner have there and re-create it in Word, post it back to you along with any image jpeg files. I will leave it up to you to correct any errors that the OCR generates (easy but tedious) and replant any pictures and diagrams.

Or I may be able to beak the password on the original Word document.

Over to you WW from WW :^O

I am looking at web site to find out if it has OCR WW hang on a mo .....

FFS. I have looked through numerous sites WW nothing definitive other than pretty pictures.

It should be pretty obvious mind. Can you stick in a printed version of the document (any printed document will do, even a newspaper).

In the scan set-up there should be an option to direct the scanned documents. It will things like printer, file and Word I promise you it will actually use the word WORD (as in MS Word) as most scanners do.

I see the have a driver for the Mac :D

Have a play WW and have a good look about and try options (in Save and Save As from the File menu etc.

I will continue my search for a manual. If all else fails send it to me and I will scan the ferker.

WW

Am downloading the user doc from the Epsom site right now, bit slow and no idea if I will e able to open whatever they send down ..... hang on....

Nope it will not open and I am tired (long day working !!)

I will forward to my office and have a look on Monday WW Sorry matey. But have a good look at the menu options it will be there, I am sure it will... Output to Word.