EIC and Submains

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traineeboy

Reaction score
Just some questions relating to EIC. I’m fairly new but have some questions I would like to Clarify as getting different answers from people on my placement. 

1. If you are filling out an EIC ( ticking the box for additions to an existing installation). If you installed a garage CU then I know you have to fill out to schedule of test sheets 1 for the main DB and one for the garage DB. On the Garage DB I will obviously fill out and test all circuits as I would have installed them but on the schedule of test sheet for the main DB I would of just installed the swa from a breaker to feed the garage CU, so although there is like 10 circuits on the main CU I assume I just have to test and record the 1 circuit I installed ? 

2. If you are just filling out an EIC because of an addition then do you need to fill out the sheet for inspection? As at the top it says it’s just for New Installations only. But I’ve been told even if you are making an addition to an existing installation you still have to fill in the schedule of inspections sheet. please could someone clarify. 

thanks 

Just some questions relating to EIC. I’m fairly new but have some questions I would like to Clarify as getting different answers from people on my placement. 

2. If you are just filling out an EIC because of an addition then do you need to fill out the sheet for inspection? As at the top it says it’s just for New Installations only. But I’ve been told even if you are making an addition to an existing installation you still have to fill in the schedule of inspections sheet. please could someone clarify. 

thanks 

If you have added a new circuit...  (e.g. An Addition),  then  a full set of inspection and test results should be available for the new circuit you have added....

Which can be written onto a schedule of inspection...

BUT..   you are only responsible for your new work..  and not any existing circuits on the installation..

So you can include a comment such as "Only circuit #6 (circuit name) amended, all other final circuits left unaltered"..

You do NOT have to test and document the whole installation...

BUT you MUST document all relevant tests and results for the addition you have made...

Visualise how the load you have now provided power for is connected to the source of the installation....

Then ask yourself, "Have all the relevant circuit characteristics been tested documented"  

If Yes, then you are all good...   if not then you need to document them!

Guinness

It Is as important to document what what you have not done

Comments section

this certificate is for the supply to the shed only, including two sockets and one light , supply cable , connection to house DB. It does not cover any other circuits

just cover yourself
Like saying "no fixed equipment" in the shed. Which covers you for when a few days later a hot tub appears that almost fills the whole shed.

On the EIC form where is says RCD as main switch. It says ‘rated time delay’ - the RCD is not a delay RCD so therefore is it simply 0 or N/A or is there more to it ? 

Thanks again all. 

Again just would like to clarify something. 

on the schedule of inspections form . I get that some of it is applying to the whole installation but for example 4.0 Basic Protection , am I answering this for the garage board I would have installed or is it for the house CU that I didn’t install ? If it’s both then the house board IP rating is bad but the garage IP rating is brilliant. 

Back to the BS7671 model forms page 462 & 463 will give you your answer...

The box that says  "Extent of installation covered by this certificate"    (pg462)

describes all the bits that your test results etc relate to...

And the box titled "Comments on existing installation"  (pg463)

gives you space to write anything that you notice about the rest of the installation not directly related to your work..

BUT..

don't forget that if any aspect of the existing supply & distribution is inadequate.. (e.g. presents a danger)..

Then no alterations temporary or permanent should be carried out..  Reg 132.16 (pg21) 

Do you mean there are existing items on the original installation that leave potential access to live parts?

:C

The main house CU. Where the cables go into the board. Small fingers could be put in there. The board is under the stairs. The main house CU will be upgraded soon so then it will be glanded properly.