EICR codes

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K789

Reaction score
Hello Guys.

I am John and new to this Group. I am an Electrical apprentice learning Electrical coding. Does anyone know what code I can give in this scenario. I can see a old fashioned toggle switch with line conductor exposed and recessed into the building fabrics so I gave C1. However, I am not very clear with the connections. It looks like for me neutral and line conductor swapped at switch 2. Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

John

Attachments

• 50406E25-85AF-455E-87A4-3228FFE1DC92.jpeg
    50406E25-85AF-455E-87A4-3228FFE1DC92.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Is this a real life scenario or an exam question.
I am not sure fleeting regarding where this picture comes from. I got this from one of my friend (which he asked me to find me the fault). Regardless of anything, I am quite interested to know this

The fact there is a black at the switch does not necessarily indicate a neutral conductor they are likely to be switch line conductors. It is difficult to see but there appears to be two incoming cables with a common red line through the three switches and two blacks and a red leaving the switches.

Evening Team,

Thanks for your suggestions.

No cover present as they scenario is pretty similar to the pictures. The switches are readily accessible.

Best Regards,

John

Last edited:
They are Rolls switches from late 50s early 60s. They are mounted onto a wooden back box and would/should have a cover plate on them....possibly white plastic

With all due respect what drew you to the conclusion that Line and Neutral had been swapped?
Thank you very much, kerching. It just two different colour cable (Black and red) which is terminated into the rolls switch. Do you have any idea why the black and red wire has been terminated this way?

Last edited:
Thank you very much, kerching. It just two different colour cable (Black and red) which is terminated into the rolls switch. Do you have any idea why the black and red wire has been terminated this way?
er... your doing an EICR, so presumably someone is paying for your services usingof knowledge / experience to determine if the electrical installation is safe for use or not.... and youre asking why a light switch is wired the way it is?!

Evening Team,

Thanks for your suggestions.

No cover present as they scenario is pretty similar to the pictures. The switches are readily accessible.

Best Regards,

John
Looks like it had a cover, but if that is missing, then you have exposed live conductors due to poor cable stripping, in which case it's a C1 all day long.

Was there mutiple colours of the metal crackle finish? I can picture boards with a grey/silver crackle finish before they went to painted battlehship grey and now you say it, I'm sure I remember darker crackle ones, I think, but I'd just assumed they were variations/dirty.

And nah, got to be a cast iron Bill rewireable with missing busbar shroud, many missing wax dots and a cracked carrier or two, most with 2.5mm copper in them...