Eicr Coding - Super Rough Kitchen Rewire

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ray-bentos

Reaction score
Came across this load of s***e when on an EICR today......

The kitchen has been 'rewired' last year for some reason and has been done (very very poorly) in trunking over the front of the tiles.  Surface mount boxes have been fitted over the front of the original metal backboxes in the wall.  The wiring supplying the new sockets is the brown and blue 2.5mm T&E in the trunking and surface mount box and has been connected into its own circuit as kitchen ring.

Now in the back of the original metal boxes there is 6mm old red & black T&E terminated into choc blocks.  This is actually connected to the cooker circuit. 

From what I could gather, the cooker circuit comes down from the ceiling into one backbox (now covered with a surface box).  From here it is connected via chocblock and goes horizontally left behind the cooker (buried in the wall) and supplies the cooker switch at the left hand side of the cooker. 

The socket in the picture attached is on the other wall and the wire seems to come straight down from the ceiling and terminate in this socket in chockblock.  It seems it originally then spurred down to a below worktop socket which has now been connected to the new kitchen ring. 

The old wire for this socket must be joined to the cooker circuit in the ceiling void above as there is no other accessory or anything it could be joined to in the kitchen.

I'm specifically wanting peoples opinion on what you would grade this live wire in the back of the metal backbox supplied from another circuit?  I would like to see it at least disconnected where it joins above so there is no 'dead leg' live wire on another MCB to the socket now 'in front'?  Any reference to a reg which you believe might encapsulate this would also be appreciated

Sorry this makes very little sense, really difficult to explain.....

20150413_141101.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Odd one.  the "rear" cable is in a safe zone, and the junction is (just about)  accessible.

So while it's carp, I can't actually see a reg it's breaking.

providing the enslosure (the box) is earthed, then i cant see any problems with it.and there is nothing to stop you having a different circuit there, so as much as you may not like it, it does look compliant

unless you didnt remove the socket & surface box to take the photo...

providing the enslosure (the box) is earthed, then i cant see any problems with it.and there is nothing to stop you having a different circuit there, so as much as you may not like it, it does look compliant

unless you didnt remove the socket & surface box to take the photo...
Found plenty of other non-compliances, including a total lack of bonding to water.

Fortunately the landlord has been sensible and has asked that we completely remove the kitchen ring and start again::

20150328_103221.jpg20150328_103149.jpg20150328_103131.jpg

20150328_103316_zpspfrqj6sw.jpg

How about missing label on the socket outlet to 514.11.1 (and therefore 537.2.1.3)? I know they are in different enclosures, but they are in virtually the same location, and are part of the same installation.

Sounds like you don't need it, but you did ask.

How about missing label on the socket outlet to 514.11.1 (and therefore 537.2.1.3)? I know they are in different enclosures, but they are in virtually the same location, and are part of the same installation.

Sounds like you don't need it, but you did ask.
The brief so far is just to replace kitchen ring but I believe they want it installing in surface mount trunking the same, just done neatly (is it possible to do that neatly?).

I was after ammo to justify taking upstairs floorboards up and removing the cooker circuit legs which go nowhere.  Feel like I could be making a rod for my own back though as then cooker circuit will need dropping in trunking then too.......  What would everyones opinion on this be if you found it?

New cooker circuit in trunking, and disconnect the old one?

It sounds like there is an un-inspectable connection under the floorboards upstairs, which you should really be having a look at if you were going to do work on the cooker circuit.

If working just on the ring, can you just put blanking plates on the sunken boxes and re-site the new socket outlets to the side. And have the trunking running just under the surface boxes. It might mean filling the screw holes of the old trunking (if it was screwed and not just stuck).

Latest posts