EICR fail

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twecotong

Reaction score
Hi , i am looking for some advice. I recently had some works done including a new kitchen.

The electrician ran a new cable from the fuse box to an induction hob and said because of this he would have to do an EICR report which i understand is fair enough.

He has now said he cannot issue an EICR which i need for building control sign off due to the fact my gas meter does not have an earth bond within 300mm of the meter, which is in the regulations he says?

I am not sure how this is relevant, the house is 15 yrs old and has an external gas meter. the floors are concrete and there is an earth bond to the gas main at the boiler which used to be a garage but is now converted into a room.

There is no cable running to the gas meter and with it being concrete floors i would need to dig up a freshly tiled floor....If it regulations then how did house builder get away without installing one when the house was built?

Can this be right? i am now in a bit of a pickle as i dont know if he is being honest or just looking for more work? I live in Scotland

Thanks for any advice

EICR? Not sure how they do it but down ere it's an EIC (electrical installation certificate) and if the bonding did need moving the electrician doing the install should have moved it.

Reg's say something along the lines of as far as reasonably practicable to where the pipe enters the building.

Although some will spit their dummy over this.

He is correct that the gas pipe dies need to be bonded to earth in a certain place. Regulations change, and what might have been okay when the house was built (or simply nobody noticed) is not okay now.

Strictly speaking he should have noticed the issue and informed you he can't do any work until the bonding is updated. Some things we just have to update.

The earth cable can take a longer route, around the outside perhaps to avoid digging up the floor.

Thanks a lot for the advice....i will need to try and get this issue sorted then.

Much appreciated

sounds a bit of a plonker.

we like the gas bond to be within 600mm of entering the building, but, and I've done this many times, if that is not practicable bonding at the boiler is in my opinion perfectly acceptable provided the gas pipe is continuos to the boiler. Copper pipe has far more copper in it than the bond cable we are suppossed to use.

As said before the plonker should have pointed this out before doing any work in the kitchen - get another sparky! Certainly check if this guy is registered with any trade bodies, albeit Scotland has different requiremnts with regards to this.

Wiring regulation 132.16, which is found on page 20 of the current issue of BS7671 wiring regulations, states that the condition of the incoming supply AND the earthing and bonding to incoming gas or water service pipes must be checked BEFORE undertaking any alterations temporary or permanent on any installation. So if this person is a competent and qualified electrician they will have know this fact and will have taken it into account before starting your work. As such I would tell them to fix it at their expense, as it is their negligence.  If the person is a cowboy, not competent and has no knowledge of regulation 132.16, then tell them they have miss sold you the service you thought you were purchasing and take it up via trading standards, or the complaints procedure of any electrical contractor trade body they are a member of such as; NICEIC, NAPIT, STROMA, ELECSA, BSI etc.

Doc H.

Great information, thanks a lot i will be in contact with the electrician to see what he says now..

Many thanks again