EICR findings - your thoughts please?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brummydave

Reaction score
Asked to do an EICR today on a two bed flat for change of occupancy. Here's my findings, and I'd welcome your thoughts please. I realise a photo or two would tell a thousand words but guess who's camera had no battery today!

Start at the beginning. There's a cupboard in the communal hall with meters and switchfuses for four flats. It also has an old wylex semi-enclosed board which is labelled up as supplying communal sockets, lights and door buzzer system. There's a 3-phase distribution box supplied by a pair of swa cables that has a bank of 100A fuses. I guess there's one per flat.

So that gives me an 80A BS1361 fuse with 16mm tails to the economy 7 meter (replaced july 2011).

Then there's 16mm tails from the meter. Neutral is commoned via a Henley. One line goes to a 60A switchfuse which in turn supplies the flat via a 16mm Twin and Earth. The other line goes to an 80A switchfuse which supplies the flat's storage heating via a concentric SWA cable. The line is 16mm, there's four cpcs which seem to be 2.5mm each, and then seven neutral cables, all appearing to be 1.5mm.

Earthing wise, the 3 phase box has 'protective multiple earthing' written on it.

There's an earth block fixed above supplied by green/yellow braids. A 10mm cable is connected to the heating switchfuse, and then to the concentric. The twin and earth has a much smaller (maybe 6mm?) green tape covered cpc which is also connected to the earth block. (The other three flats have the same arrangement although their heating circuits are obviously much older, I think still using a warm air system.)

Does this count as TN-S for the flat or TN-C-S because of the PME?

Should I do two reports, one for the main circuits, and one for the storage heating?

In which case is the 'main fuse' the one in the switchfuse, or the one before the meter?

Now to the flat:

Three Wylex boards.

1st, installed 1994, has 4x15A BS1361 fuses, one for each storage heater. The water equipotential bonding is connected to this board. A 10mm cpc also connects this earthing bar to the second board (!!)...

2nd, original installation, circa 1970s? has 5x rewireable fuses and 1x bs1361 fuse (added 1981 by the MEB!)

These are for lights (2), immersion, sockets, cooker and shower.

Finally, there's a disconnected fuse holder on the right of this board which i presume supplied the 3rd board.

This is a 2 way rewirable fuse board, I also presume for the old warm air heating system. a 15A and 5A fuse were already removed although the cables are still connected. There's no power there apart from 24v ac on the supply terminal - somehow induced maybe?

The bathroom has a 8kw shower, 12V extract fan, wall light and ceiling light. Supplementary bonding seems to be all in place (connections to be verified).

There are randomly placed battery powered (but empty) smoke alarms in the bedroom, hall, lounge. And weirdly, a similar one on the wall in the communal hall!

There's an electric fire with a seriously damaged cable. The black fabric outer has almost completly worn off and the rubber cores are exposed!

The shower switch has a small crack, but apart from that all accessories seem in good condition.

My thoughts:

The flat has been used by elderly tenants for years, and the block seems to mostly suit/house them.

Having MCBs would be more convenient than rewirable fuses and cartridge fuses but I can't see it's a must, only a suggestion.

I haven't done individual circuit insulation resistance test yet but the overall insulation was fine.

PFC was 1.8kA at the origin, and Ze 0.18.

Next visit I'll take a sample of switches and sockets off to check connections etc.

I want to recommend RCD protection, especially for the Shower.

It's not likely that any socket will be used for outside in my opinion, (although i did see another flat running an extension lead to their garage!) But obviously RCD protection on the sockets would be better than none.

Replace cable on fire and test for adequate earthing/insulation.

Recommend interlinked heat/smoke alarms.

Recommend energy saving light fittings/lamps - there's none at present.

Thanks in advance,

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like a right can of worms. The earthing does not change within any installation it is whatever is presented at the main supply. (exceptions to this rule do apply).

Visual inspection should give you a very good feel for any installation, I spend some time away from home living out of hotels most of the year I do a visual inspection almost daily, in fact my room at the moment is worthy of a picture!

All you can do is conduct the report stating fact and backed by regulation, if you do have any serious issues then bring them to the attention of the owner immediately. If they are not prepared to pay for immediate repairs then walk away and invoice for your time and issue an Electrical danger notice.

It looks like a right can of worms. The earthing does not change within any installation it is whatever is presented at the main supply. (exceptions to this rule do apply).Visual inspection should give you a very good feel for any installation, I spend some time away from home living out of hotels most of the year I do a visual inspection almost daily, in fact my room at the moment is worthy of a picture!

All you can do is conduct the report stating fact and backed by regulation, if you do have any serious issues then bring them to the attention of the owner immediately. If they are not prepared to pay for immediate repairs then walk away and invoice for your time and issue an Electrical danger notice.
Can of worms/ interesting challenge / out of my comfort zone - all things that went through my head today!

The feel I got was that the install was done well a long time ago, and doesn't appear to be damaged as yet. But there's so much that's outdated. That's the reason for the detailed post here to get some other thoughts. Thankfully I'm doing my regs course on Monday so i'll be fully conversant on which regs to back up which codes!

I should add that the owner is my mother-in-law who's lovely and insists I treat the job professionally. um!

Can of worms/ interesting challenge / out of my comfort zone - all things that went through my head today! The feel I got was that the install was done well a long time ago, and doesn't appear to be damaged as yet. But there's so much that's outdated. That's the reason for the detailed post here to get some other thoughts. Thankfully I'm doing my regs course on Monday so i'll be fully conversant on which regs to back up which codes!

I should add that the owner is my mother-in-law who's lovely and insists I treat the job professionally. um!
She might be an ex mother in law when she gets the bill

Brummydave, electricians with years of experience still get confused with codes and such like. The key to doing a good report is experience, the more you see, and the more you do, the better you become(if willing). No installation is unsafe, unless you find something that is wrong with it, and then the degree of "unsafe" falls into A, Immediate danger or B, potential danger.

One forum member I spoke to this week told me of a EICR he had seen where a shower pull cord was noted as a C1. Obviously the tester was presumably suicidal and saw the cord, imagined a hang man noose so afforded it the correct code, given his total understanding of the suicidal among us.

lol!! :D

I'm aware of my relative inexperience at the reporting. Installs a plenty yeah, but reports not so much. Getting asked to do more tho, especially by letting agents! So want to get it right from the start.

The earthing thing is bugging me mostly. As it's PME, hence TN-C-S, it'll need a 16mm main bond. Previous threads have talked about adding more than one cable (ie a 10mm and 6mm) as long as it's labelled well. But it doesn't sit well with me!

All the tails are 16mm as well, and everything I read says they have to be 25mm these days.. makes me wonder why they weren't changed with the new meter last summer.

Hmm things like this cause insomnia! :coffee

There are randomly placed battery powered (but empty) smoke alarms in the bedroom, hall, lounge. And weirdly, a similar one on the wall in the communal hall!

There's an electric fire with a seriously damaged cable. The black fabric outer has almost completly worn off and the rubber cores are exposed!

The shower switch has a small crack, but apart from that all accessories seem in good condition.

My thoughts:

The flat has been used by elderly tenants for years, and the block seems to mostly suit/house them.

Having MCBs would be more convenient than rewirable fuses and cartridge fuses but I can't see it's a must, only a suggestion.

I haven't done individual circuit insulation resistance test yet but the overall insulation was fine.

PFC was 1.8kA at the origin, and Ze 0.18.

Next visit I'll take a sample of switches and sockets off to check connections etc.

I want to recommend RCD protection, especially for the Shower.

It's not likely that any socket will be used for outside in my opinion, (although i did see another flat running an extension lead to their garage!) But obviously RCD protection on the sockets would be better than none.

Replace cable on fire and test for adequate earthing/insulation.

Recommend interlinked heat/smoke alarms.

Recommend energy saving light fittings/lamps - there's none at present.

Thanks in advance,

D.
There is no requirement for an installation installed to an earlier issue of wiring regulations to be brought up to current wiring regulations. As such many electrically safe installations do not comply with the current wiring regulations. You should be performing a periodic inspection of the fixed wiring of an installation, looking for 'C1' Present dangers requiring immediate remedial action. 'C2' Potentially dangerous items, requiring urgent remedial action or 'C3' Improvement recommended, to be reported on your Electrical Installation Condition Report, 'EICR'. Rememebr that the EICR is for the electrical installation not the accessories connected to that installation. The accessories would not be coded or reported on an EICR, though you may wish to advise the client separately. Battery smoke detectors, energy saving lights, plugged in accessories, rewireable fuses, do not themselves introduce any danger to the electrical installation. It is a common mistake by those inexperienced with periodic inspection to report a lot of irrelevant issues. the ESC guide offers a lot of practical advice. http://www.esc.org.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/industry/best_practice/BestPracticeGuide4-Locked.pdf Lack of RCD's is not itself an immediate danger, more just a recommend improvement.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave, TNC-S does not always equal PME.AndyGuinness
True. But isn't PME always TNC-S?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 12:47 ---------- Previous post was made at 12:44 ----------

There is no requirement for an installation installed to an earlier issue of wiring regulations to be brought up to current wiring regulations. As such many electrically safe installations do no comply with the current wiring regulations. You should be performing a periodic inspection of the fixed wiring of an installation, looking for 'C1' Present dangers requiring immediate remedial action. 'C2' Potentially dangerous items, requiring urgent remedial action or 'C3' Improvement recommended, to be reported on your Electrical Installation Condition Report, 'EICR'. Rememebr that the EICR is for the electrical installation not the accessories connected to that installation. The accessories would not be coded or reported on an EICR, though you may wish to advise the client separately. Battery smoke detectors, energy saving lights, plugged in accessories, rewireable fuses, do not themselves introduce any danger to the electrical installation. It is a common mistake by those inexperienced with periodic inspection to report a lot of irrelevant issues. the ESC guide offers a lot of practical advice. http://www.esc.org.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/industry/best_practice/BestPracticeGuide4-Locked.pdf Lack of RCD's is not itself an immediate danger, more just a recommend improvement.Doc H.
Thanks Doc, I guess cause it's in the family my head wants to recommend everything rather than concentrate on job in hand.

If I read the ESC guide correctly, no RCD on the shower is a C3 as supplementary bonding is ok. I'll report back after my second visit tomorrow but methinks it'll be only C3s.

I carried out a similar inspection (but worse) 2 weeks ago. I noted the new replaced shower had its instructions there, i gave a C2 as no rcd was present and the pull cord & switch mechanism were both in Zone 2. There was also no bonding to both gas & water supplies that had metalic pipe feeds and internal pipework which i gave a C1 (not sure if that should have been a C2 but since there was an Unsatisfactory result anyhow, not to bothered) No local bonding in bathroom and no rcd's on any of the 3 circuits in there so coded that C2. Also no fan isolator, C3

One i was not too sure about was the sockets, It was a ground floor flat with only the front door onto the communal hall but the flats car parking space was 2m away from the bedroom window so i coded a C2 stating both the old 'equipment that may be used outdoors' & the 17th edition reasons. Loads of other stuff also.