Eicr limitations

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J991

Reaction score
I am not carrying out eicrs or electrical work at the moment this is solely for educational purposes only!

I am still fresh in this and currently in my second year so starting to try and understand things beyond the scope of college

At the moment I'm very interested in testing as this is where my tutor has directed me to gain a headstart and so everything else that comes into it

My question for this post is directed within reports and in this instance limitations and what is acceptable and what isn't on eicrs

Basically what can be limitations and still satisfy a passed report and what cannot be lim

For example if a tester went into a house to do a report and say one of the rooms was fully unaccessable (bathroom or bedroom etc) could this be a lim for everything Inside and still get a satisfactory report

Same goes for actual fixed wiring testing I know ze or zdb should definitely be taken but what about the others

Thanks guys

I am not carrying out eicrs or electrical work at the moment this is solely for educational purposes only!

For example if a tester went into a house to do a report and say one of the rooms was fully unaccessable (bathroom or bedroom etc) could this be a lim for everything Inside and still get a satisfactory report

Same goes for actual fixed wiring testing I know ze or zdb should definitely be taken but what about the others

My questions back to you would be what do you think?
And then what is your reasoning?
and what industry standard documentation/guidance can you refer to to back up your reasoning?

As if you were doing an EICR you should be able to justify your summary of the installation with ref to BS7671 and its associated guidance notes/books/PDF's etc..

Having a random stranger off the internet list what they think you can or cannot do with reference to an installation they have never seen would not be regarded as an indication that the person undertaking the EICR is competent..

Which parts of BS7671, or Guidance note3, or The On Site Guide, or Best practice guide 4 are applicable to your theoretical scenarios?
Do you have access to copies and have you read what they say?

Specifically consider the Section D "extent and limitations" part of the model form (pg 473 BS7671)
"Including Reasons" And Reg 653.2

Going back to your example of an EICR at a house...
Why would you agree to do an EICR at a property if you knew some parts were inaccessible?
How would you verify which accessories in which rooms were supplied from each circuit, especially where no previous documentation is available?
Before visiting you should just agree with the client that you will have full access and will be turning the power off during your visit..

Agreeing to do an EICR at a domestic property where you cannot access all parts of that installation is as daft as agreeing to install some new sockets in a room you cannot access on the day you visit.

( Larger commercial premises are a different ball game where various parts of an installation may need to be tested at different times due to various critical processes..)

I recently had to test a premises with a radio station unning 24/7 - powering down was not an option, so live tests only on critical ccts. This was noted in comments rather than putting 'lim' on things. I use 'lim' for such items as data cabling not being run alongside mains where there is no access to inspect such as under floorboards.

I understand this but I see limitations all over the shop without any clear set out boundaries

I'm just trying to fully understand the areas it can be applied to justifiably and on this occasion whether a report would stand if a full area was unaccessable at time of report in the perfect world a full test would be ideal however I see alot of tests being carried out with occupants especially in regards to council properties and if for example someone was in the bath at time of test what would come of limitations on the bathroom or say a disabled person not being disturbed in their bedroom etc or even just a client refusing access to certain rooms would this be acceptable as a lim

I was testing a HMO earlier this year. One tenant who did not want me in the flat decided to lock his room door before going to work. I had explained I needed access all areas. I put it down as a limitation. It would have taken another visit, more cost to the landlord & wasted time following up. I backed this up with an email to explain. It was satisfactory. Sometimes you cannot gain access to all rooms/areas as various people live different lifestyles. What do you do? break down the door....no .... just cover your back and note it.

There is a thing commonly known as "Operational Limitations" whereby this sort of thing can be noted in the Limitations but for it to be effective it should be noted in the contract. It is what it is it happens all the time.