EICR - r1 very high but R1 + R2 low.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes been paid for the PIR, the customer/mate doesn't even want the certificate. Even tried telling me that a code 2 wasn't unsatisfactory so it's ok anyway, advice from an electrician mate. I emailed him a copy of the best practice guide,(PIR and EICR) pointing out the parts that state a code 1 or 2 is a fail, also the part in the EICR best practice guide which states (conveniently) about inconsistent resistance values on a ring. haven't heard back yet.

I've still got the original readings on my plan of the property.

Feel bad cos i've known him a long time but i ain't gonna bend the rules.

Paul.

Right..........

Before I started on my own one of the books I read about self employment said quite clearly....

Treat any jobs/works for friends and family exactly as you would for a stranger..

keep it all formal, correct paperwork, invoice's etc...

Not just a word of mouth oh thats

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope this helps.

As stated when you measured for R1 + R2 you had in fact created a larger circle consisting of r1and r2. Also correctly stated. Measuring at a skt out let was the same as potentially measuring across this circle i.e. splitting the loop into two semi circles. Ie two parallel circuits

One of these circuits would contain the high resistant joint 20K . the other parallel circuits resistance would be very very low .

TheTOTAL resistance of any parallel circuit is (by rule of thumb) smaller then the smallest reading of either of the two individual circuits parallel circuits.

Hence: r2 = 1.6 r 1= 20000

product divided by sum = total for parallel circuit:

(1.6 x 20000) / 20001.6 = 1.59987

This equals the reading you were obtaining when measuring for R1+R2 1.6 ohms.