EICR Testing can it damage white appliances if not unplugged like built-in Fridge Freeze

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Male54

Reaction score
Hi can someone help me answer this question is it possible if appliance isn't unplugged draining EICR testing can it damage that appliances .  

It happens a lot with smoke alarms and TV aerial Amps tacked into lighting circuits in the loft etc.  so once an installation is in service (as is the case with an EICR) it is usual to limit any test voltages to 250V DC or less and/or apply test voltages only between L+N and E unless a L-N fault is already evident. 
As this is far less than the 300v Peak from the mains its safe and if (rarely) L-N testing is tried the fact that something is connected will be quickly spotted anyway.

So in short if done properly there's no damage to any forgotten appliances

Footnote is that 'old but rarely switched off' appliances may take the opportunity to not restart and socket/wall switches may make poor contact when switched back on creating apparent issues after an EICR but that's not the test's fault.   

Last edited by a moderator:
EICR Test

once the Engineer completed and return power to  my built-in fridge freeze stopped working .

That built-in fridge freeze was not turned off draining the testing and previous weeks before that a pat test was completed

On all house appliances that proves that item was working .

Where would the switch be to turn it off? Behind the appliance, in a cupboard adjacent or via a fused spur above worktop? 
Did the tester ask about switching it off? Did he even know there was a built in appliance? 

Particularly now people insist on having USB chargers (permanently connected) in Sockets a 250V DC maximum seems reasonable.    Any testing process runs the risk of a failure during the test as everything is going to fail sometime  . .

Does the Fridge light come on ?  Have you checked the fuse and tried the freezer in another socket /  extension lead on another circuit.   

Last edited by a moderator:
PAT test does not prove it is working, it proves there is not excessive earth leakage and the earth connection is good.
Pat test engineer would complete observation report that fridge freeze working or not working  ?????????

Particularly now people insist on having USB chargers (permanently connected) in Sockets a 250V DC maximum seems reasonable.    Any testing process runs the risk of a failure during the test as everything is going to fail sometime  . .

Have you checked the fuse and tried the freezer in another socket /  extension lead on another circuit
I have to pull the out built in fridge freeze out first .I really wanted the engineer back first to double check as on the EICR report registered  C2 code draining Testing located  in the Kitchen .    

I think what we need to do here is establish if the freezer has failed or whether it is just a blown fuse at this point? 
I have a brand new fridge freezer which apparently stopped working whilst no one was in the house over the weekend, yet when switched off then back on it worked fine for 24 hours before going off again by itself late last night, so faults can occur at anytime, should I expect a new FF to fail only months after purchase? Probably not. 

I have to pull the out built in fridge freeze out first .I really wanted the engineer back first to double check as on the EICR report registered  C2 code draining Testing located  in the Kitchen .    
what does the C2 refer too? 

Where would the switch be to turn it off? Behind the appliance, in a cupboard adjacent or via a fused spur above worktop? 
Did the tester ask about switching it off? Did he even know there was a built in appliance? 
Who is the Engineer he need to ask me the  consumer these question .The engineer  just went around turning selective items off. 

I think what we need to do here is establish if the freezer has failed or whether it is just a blown fuse at this point? 
I have a brand new fridge freezer which apparently stopped working whilst no one was in the house over the weekend, yet when switched off then back on it worked fine for 24 hours before going off again by itself late last night, so faults can occur at anytime, should I expect a new FF to fail only months after purchase? Probably not. 

What does C2 mean on an EICR code?

The person using the electrical installation will need to be advised to take immediate action without delay. A Code 2 (C2) observation means ‘Potentially Dangerous’. This code means that there is no immediate threat, but it is likely to become a danger in the future and so urgent remedial action is required to remove the potential danger.

Probably  "Appliance Isolation Switch innaccessible  . . "

What does C2 mean on an EICR code?

The person using the electrical installation will need to be advised to take immediate action without delay. A Code 2 (C2) observation means ‘Potentially Dangerous’. This code means that there is no immediate threat, but it is likely to become a danger in the future and so urgent remedial action is required to remove the potential danger.
Thanks but I’m aware of this, I was referring to any specific comments the engineer may have wrote regarding it? 

Does the Fridge light come on ?  Have you checked the fuse and tried the freezer in another socket /  extension lead on another circuit.   
No light the fridge is warm  .This week i will  pull unite out and carryout testing as recommended .Thanks for your help

No light the fridge is warm  .This week i will  pull unite out and carryout testing as recommended .Thanks for your help

Good stuff   I do wonder how the PAT tester got to the plug but perhaps that's a question for another day 

Good stuff   I do wonder how the PAT tester got to the plug but perhaps that's a question for another day 
If it has an isolator switch accessible somewhere e.g. above the worktop, then you can unscrew that and make measurements from that.

BUT if it is really a built in FF, in that it is screwed into a carcass with a fitted kitchen unit door, then it is no more portable than a built in oven and outwith the scope of PAT testing,  PAT stands for Portable Appliance Testing, and if screwed into a cabinet it is NOT "portable"

If it has an isolator switch accessible somewhere e.g. above the worktop, then you can unscrew that and make measurements from that.

BUT if it is really a built in FF, in that it is screwed into a carcass with a fitted kitchen unit door, then it is no more portable than a built in oven and outwith the scope of PAT testing,  PAT stands for Portable Appliance Testing, and if screwed into a cabinet it is NOT "portable"
True enough (although I've seen server racks being PAT tested and they weren't going anywhere fast)   but as far as dismantling the supply installation goes I've never seen a PAT tester (as opposed to an electrician) that clued-up / dedicated /brave or bothered 🙂