Electric help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He hasn't reported anything apart from rambling on about rcds and some of that is incorrect.

I quite agree - disappointingly just shows the poor level of inspection

I mean how could you look at the head, the meter, the "first" CU, then the second and not properly document the first CU or even comment on it.  

Isn't it of concern that the inspections are commissioned by the landlord, or his agent?

Perhaps these could become a useful part of income for an electrician. If he starts finding too many problems though, then this income may stop, diverted to a less critical inspector.

I can visualise situations where there is a definite incentive not to be too observant.

Electrician coming in 50mins let’s see what he says can’t see him being able to do anything I guess this will come down to landlord putting his hand in his pocket for a new supply power cable and meter upstairs then just disconnect whatever is going on in my flat to his ....

then i I need to sort out the gas meter as that has two pipes coming off it so that’s shared to him aswell I bet that’s what’s racked the bill up the most 

If I were you I would be estimating my use of both gas and electricity and demanding the rest of the bill is picked up by the landlord.

The gas to upstairs probably isn't metered at all and the electricity meter upstairs won't be registered and unless there is a plausible record of dated readings is meaningless too, so no-one can ever prove what the actual figures are.

Get some legal advice, as it appears that you have caught the landlord attempting to defraud you. That would put you in a strong position to negotiate.

I haven’t approached the neighbour upstairs as different shift patterns and the electrician came and agreeds with everyone on here the things you guys have told me and said only way he could possibly sort the mess out is the white fuse box next to the meter installing two wireless meter readers one for me and one for the gas 

he is going to contact letting agent to discuss the fix for the electric 

If I were you I would be estimating my use of both gas and electricity and demanding the rest of the bill is picked up by the landlord.

The gas to upstairs probably isn't metered at all and the electricity meter upstairs won't be registered and unless there is a plausible record of dated readings is meaningless too, so no-one can ever prove what the actual figures are.

Get some legal advice, as it appears that you have caught the landlord attempting to defraud you. That would put you in a strong position to negotiate.
 I was told 30 electric a month 30 gas 60 a month direct debit but obviously giving the meter reading to eon it was putting me in debt I didn’t noticed much until August got paranoid about it possibly being linked then dec switched supplier to utility point and that did the same then found out it’s all linked nightmare 

**I ment one for me one for him upstairs wireless meter readers but he will get back to me **

I have also now reported this to staysafeenergy and citizen advice 

I’ve heard nothing back from letting agents since last Friday when electrician took pics and said he will get back to me 

Just cut the power off and let that be an end to it. The meter will have a number on it. This number is on YOUR bill. Just shut it off.. What can they do?? Exactly nothing, so just do it and you will SOON see some action.. If it were me, i would stop paying the rent too, what they going to do?? sue you?? doubt that..

john..

Well hello again everyone I’m still in this nightmare of a flat and yes upstairs is still pulling electric and gas from my meters just to recap this is a house that has been converted into two flats ground floor flat which I’m in and an upstairs flat which someone else is in

I got the estate agents to install two sub meters one for me one for him upstairs for the electric but that’s been no help as meter is in my bedroom this was back in June that these was installed all previous debts was cleared and account for the elec/gas duel tariff moved into estate agents name they then switched suppliers didn’t tell me

5months down the line getting a bang on the door at 9am from edf I didn’t answer as didn’t no who it was untill he posted a letter in letting agents name stating a debt of 377 pound needs to be cleared or they will apply for warrant of entry to install pay as you go meters

And in December estate agents gave control of property back to landlord

Electric and gas company not interested in sub meters was told this with eon

So if edf knock again shall I answer and say he needs to go tell upstairs he is turning off electric as I’m having a pay as you go fitted defo not paying his usage already done that for 6months when I moved in

Where the hell do I stand I’m only a tenant I didn’t set up this set up moved in and then noticed after paying for 6months when eon was asking for extra money every month

So currently I’m not registered on the bills for gas and electric here entered no contract with them and my rental agreement only states to enter contracts with utility company’s no writing in the contract making me aware of this nightmare set up

I know which switch cuts his electric off upstairs as for the gas that’s got two pipes coming off it I would have to pull yellow handle up to stop gas going thru meter? That would stop him upstairs pulling the gas through not his fault either as he is a tenant aswell

you need a solicitor

at a guess, letting agent has been paying the bills upto december, then stopped paying them from when the landlord took over. might simply be that the landlord doesnt know the letting agents had done this, so he hasnt been paying the bills, since they were not in their name / address and they probably havent even seen them

how often did you / letting agent check meter readings to calculate who owes what, and have you been paying your share and who to? same for upstairs, have they been paying their share to letting agent/other?

you dont want a pre pay meter - these will simply charge you more for electric and are used to clear old debt, which isnt yours. what may be an option is to take out a new contract in your name, and either come to an agreement with upstairs or simply turn off their power otherwise

They haven’t paid anything they just set up account in there name and went quiet not sure how they switched electric and gas without asking me for the meter reading they told me they will get someone round to look at the gas to split it nothing never happened and as for me chasing it all I did I gave them all the problems they just never sorted I just glad it’s not in my name I don’t talk to upstairsand don’t think I really want to as I’ve been told by letting agents he moaned at giving them 45 pound for a years usage, and they shouldn’t add the 377 debt to the new meters if it’s not my name on the account I’ve never entered contract with edf

When I moved in debt on side for 7500 gas and electric only when estate agents gave property back in control of landlord in December did I realize it’s his name I was thinking old tenant but nope the own landlord

If the bills aren't in your name they aren't your problem. You need to speak to the CAB and maybe a solicitor.

And looking for a new flat would probably be a good idea too.

Energy companies are chasing debts more vigorously ATM so this problem isn't going away anytime soon

Just my luck that rental market is dead around here at the minute and I don’t have that sort of money to be getting solicitor involved :/

That in itself is difficult working nights but I’m sure something will get sorted out when they relize it’s linked to him upstairs and he is in all day all night I’ve had enough of worrying about it all but do appreciate all the help and input you guys have had

Get up at 7.30pm mate long nights for me but went thru all the stress thinking it’s gonna get sorted then bang on the door all I need is the meters to be split the money isn’t a problem for my usage at all this is the frustrating side of it will update the outcome soon I’m sure :(

Haven't re-read this whole thread but looks like its approaching 12months old now?

Not sure how much you have previously put in writing and/or how much written photographic evidence you have got..

But if its still not been resolved...
Then I would summarise the problem in writing to whoever your letting agreement is with, (Landlord / Agent),
telling them that you consider they are taking an unreasonable length of time, and you are being overcharged for energy you haven't used.

Ask them to confirm in writing exactly how they plan on rectifying the problem, what timescales, and what financial compensation they are offering for the inconvenience and stress this issue is causing you due to the worry of knocks on the door from energy suppliers demanding money or changing the meter.

And I would send it by traditional mail, and have it recorded & signed for.
Close the letter saying you look forward to their prompt reply within 7 working days.

Basically, if you have written evidence that the landlord/agent recognises the problem and is aware of the timescales,
it would be easier in my opinion getting third-party legal assistance from places like CAB etc..

But another problem that I see is that it is not uncommon or unreasonable for some rental properties to just use a single meter that multiple tenants divide the bills equally between them..

This is the concept used in many student Uni accommodation houses..
and legally I don't think a landlord has to provide independent metering..
as long as the methods are detailed and agreed by all tenants at the property.

So you do also need to go back through your tenancy agreement and double check what energy supply arrangements you have in place.

have you taken any meter readings of both main supply & upstairs? id expect this will drag on for a while and youll have to pay electric youve used eventually so the more evidence you have of your / upstairs useage the better