electric showers- best on the market?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tu1982

Reaction score
what does everyone recommend as the best electric shower in their opinion? and for what reasons?!?

many thanks

what does everyone recommend as the best electric shower in their opinion? and for what reasons?!?many thanks
That's an intriguing question, the Don looks forward to any answers himself.

The Godfather

I try to stick with Triton. Reasonable price, Triton are good with after sales service, send you parts in the post etc.

The Wikes shower is aTriton at a good price !!

Just my opinion, you don't need more than a 8.5 KW . The heat selector goes from 1 - 10 never need to go past 6-7 so why buy a 10 KW and have to wire it in 10mm T/E IMO

I try to stick with Triton. Reasonable price, Triton are good with after sales service, send you parts in the post etc.The Wikes shower is aTriton at a good price !!

Just my opinion, you don't need more than a 8.5 KW . The heat selector goes from 1 - 10 never need to go past 6-7 so why buy a 10 KW and have to wire it in 10mm T/E IMO
Wickes badge instead of Triton badge.. I'd agree that the general mid-price Triton range are IMHO probably as reliable as other makes, and spares if required are easy to obtain. (not cheep though). {the transit van of the shower world!}

Triton do quote a statistic on their web site that 50% of all electric showers are a Triton?! :eek: :)

My big gripe will most shower make nowadays is the riser rail & head clip attachments, they do seem to be getting more cheep and tacky & break easier..... Thinner plastic mountings I suspect!! :(

Often the big price differences with the same model of shower, (the internal power & workings), comes with colour trim i.e. white trim / chrome trim / gold trim? and if the shower head has fixed spay outlet or variable sprays..

If you are happy with plain white finish and a fixed outlet spay..you can get a good power output quite cheep. :D

I have to say i prefer Mira myself, as i have just purchased a mira play 9.5kw from Homebase on offer at

I try to stick with Triton. Reasonable price, Triton are good with after sales service, send you parts in the post etc.The Wikes shower is aTriton at a good price !!

I may be missing the point Sandra but I thought the rating of the shower meant it could heat water faster, not hotter?

Therefore (flow rate permitting) you'd have more water out of your shower head with a 10KW shower than with a 8.5KW shower at the same temperature?

Electric showers IMO are a compromise - a tank and a pump is the way to go. :D

My personal preferences are Mira then Triton,,

If I remember rightly the B&Q essensials range were (maybe still are) rebadged MIRA showers!!!

Normally if I'm doing a shower, either the plumber or client supplies!! (they can then pick their budget!!)

Mira , as they seem to fit better and are easier to plumb in due the swivelling pipe thing at the bottom

Don't know which is the best but I'm intrigued as to peoples opinion on how much difference the power rating makes? Is a 10kw shower that much better than one of say 8.5kw. I'm with patch a tank and a pump if poss. We have one that works off the combi boiler its good, as long as no one switches on a tap elsewhere in the house

ive recently bought a house thats a dump inside, im rewiring etc and that is why i asked the question, its no big deal to run a 10m if needed.

I am intregued about the pump and tank suggestion as the house has the old fashioned heating system (tank in loft and immersion tank) i just dont know how to plumb the mixer shower, plumbing an electric shower is easy!!i will have to speak to a plumber about a price to sort it out.

with regards to budget, i was thinking its probably cheaper for me to install a mira sport max 10.5kw myself than it is to get a plumber in to do a mixer shower. i was then thinking of getting a mixer tap on the bath so that in the morning when all my other half is doing is washing her hair she can use that and not the 10.8kws!!!

whats the most power triton model? the mira play 9.5kw for 89.99 seems very cheap. anyone know what the power of the shower is like in the winter when the pipes are cold?

bit off topic now but - heatre sadia arnt the best but they are very cheap and they are rebranded gainsbourgh, so are a diect replacement

i personally think a mixer would be a cheaper option here.

put togehter the cost of 10mm cable, switch gear, rcd and shower plus fitting ..

400 maybe ??

depending on the system you have raise the tanks,

What about Redring I think they have a three year guarantee rather than 2 years with the other makes have. I have one to replace in my neighbors there Redring has been in 20 years so that is what I am replacing it with. Although I don't expect the new one will last that long.

Batty

I may be missing the point Sandra but I thought the rating of the shower meant it could heat water faster, not hotter?Therefore (flow rate permitting) you'd have more water out of your shower head with a 10KW shower than with a 8.5KW shower at the same temperature?

It would heat faster , yes but IMHO an 8.5 KW delivers plenty of water and handles the colder winter water very well. May not be as good as off the heating system but can be fitted by sparks. No need for the black leather panted guy ! :| Just don't think the extra 2KW in nesessary and connecting the 10mm T/E in a pull switch is a right pain in the bottle. ;) Deke

I may be missing the point Sandra but I thought the rating of the shower meant it could heat water faster, not hotter?Therefore (flow rate permitting) you'd have more water out of your shower head with a 10KW shower than with a 8.5KW shower at the same temperature?

A general guide that I once read... can't remember where from? one of the shower manufactures brochures.. I think?

Anyway

For each extra KiloWatt of power you get around 15% extra water flow at any set temperature.

It would heat faster , yes but IMHO an 8.5 KW delivers plenty of water and handles the colder winter water very well. May not be as good as off the heating system but can be fitted by sparks. No need for the black leather panted guy ! :| Just don't think the extra 2KW in nesessary and connecting the 10mm T/E in a pull switch is a right pain in the bottle. ;) Deke
10mm ain't that hard to do so long as you cut and dress the cables right in the first place .... I always do showers in 10mm as you just know a 8.5kW is going to be upgraded when it packs up!

In my old house I had a 9.5kW Gainsbrough 2000, it was still going strong after 10 years of daily use!! Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley