Electric Underfloor heating......more non electrical than electrical

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Home for the terminally bewildered, one step ahead
So about 4 years ago we knocked kitchen and dining room into one...fitted new kitchen.

due a bit of a minor health glitch it all got put on hold. Temp floor covering ( just for Xmas!) was some 20 year old Heuga carpet tiles that i salvaged from one of my demo jobs....actually 960 sq m to be precise

any way....bank holiday approached and SWMBO decided that now i was well again it would be good therapy to make a start!

i said you can fuerk off i need a rest....somehow this translated as "yes dear, why not'

so

thursday.  

Move settee, sideboard, American BFO fridge freezer, range cooker, table, chairs, and other stuff into horse box...take box to yard

rip up tiles, collect pallet of thermal board ( no more ply) from sons warehouse, seal said board with SBR on both sides

disc w ash machine, TD, dish wash as these are in utility room which is also being done

unload 32sq m tiles, adhesive, grout etc

friday replace three rotten joists, patch repair floor boards, wire for heating, extra sockets, extra network cables as will not be able to access once floor is down. Install 4 25 flexi cons from 'network central' to under lounge floor for future proofing. Start to fit flooring

Reconnect wash machine

saturday.  

Disconnect wash machine

Finish flooring covering

seal all gaps with foam

form little dams to stop self levelling compound going under cupboards

sunday

lay heating mat

lay self leveller....run out at 2200h!

today

screwies at 10 for more self leveller

finish self leveller

move tiles from decking to inside

stack ready for tiler in morning

relax

so....a few wrinkles picked up,along the way

self levelling compound goes 1/3 of the area quoted

heating mat rips the hairs off your arms

mega strength NM ply adhesive sticks better than faeces to a blanket

said adhesive is F difficult to remove from your knees...yes I was wearing prescription shorts

trade wipes are very good unless used 50 times in a day....hands like Vordermans neck now

NM Ply adhesive expands more than you think

expanding foam guns are not good when the full new can shears off

fpam is difficult to get out of your hair

foam is harder to remove from a Jack Russel

excess NM Ply adhesive is a dream to remove with a Multitool and scraper blade....very therapeutic

trimming bottom of casings, archs and skirting is a slow process with a multitool....but worth it

just awaiting tiler in morning. Not doing it myself as i can earn more than he will charge...and not have to take time off to do it

just aching 

Got it all to put back yet!

and wife wants to clean first!........first time in 36 years!

she reckons it is not worth cleaning/tidying up as she will only have it all to do again next year!....but she has just bought a new cordless Dyson today having seen all the dog hairs that have accumulated in just one day?  I covered the floor with black Corex that we use on the shop fits....worth every penyy and then some😃

So about 4 years ago we knocked kitchen and dining room into one...fitted new kitchen.

due a bit of a minor health glitch it all got put on hold. Temp floor covering ( just for Xmas!) was some 20 year old Heuga carpet tiles that i salvaged from one of my demo jobs....actually 960 sq m to be precise

any way....bank holiday approached and SWMBO decided that now i was well again it would be good therapy to make a start!

i said you can fuerk off i need a rest....somehow this translated as "yes dear, why not'

so

thursday.  

Move settee, sideboard, American BFO fridge freezer, range cooker, table, chairs, and other stuff into horse box...take box to yard

rip up tiles, collect pallet of thermal board ( no more ply) from sons warehouse, seal said board with SBR on both sides

disc w ash machine, TD, dish wash as these are in utility room which is also being done

unload 32sq m tiles, adhesive, grout etc

friday replace three rotten joists, patch repair floor boards, wire for heating, extra sockets, extra network cables as will not be able to access once floor is down. Install 4 25 flexi cons from 'network central' to under lounge floor for future proofing. Start to fit flooring

Reconnect wash machine

saturday.  

Disconnect wash machine

Finish flooring covering

seal all gaps with foam

form little dams to stop self levelling compound going under cupboards

sunday

lay heating mat

lay self leveller....run out at 2200h!

today

screwies at 10 for more self leveller

finish self leveller

move tiles from decking to inside

stack ready for tiler in morning

relax

so....a few wrinkles picked up,along the way

self levelling compound goes 1/3 of the area quoted

heating mat rips the hairs off your arms

mega strength NM ply adhesive sticks better than faeces to a blanket

said adhesive is F difficult to remove from your knees...yes I was wearing prescription shorts

trade wipes are very good unless used 50 times in a day....hands like Vordermans neck now

NM Ply adhesive expands more than you think

expanding foam guns are not good when the full new can shears off

fpam is difficult to get out of your hair

foam is harder to remove from a Jack Russel

excess NM Ply adhesive is a dream to remove with a Multitool and scraper blade....very therapeutic

trimming bottom of casings, archs and skirting is a slow process with a multitool....but worth it

just awaiting tiler in morning. Not doing it myself as i can earn more than he will charge...and not have to take time off to do it

just aching 

o-BUILDERS-FOAM-HAIR-MOUSSE-570.jpg

:pmsl:

Good stuff Kerch, have a well earned drink ! :Y :Y :Y

So my pet question, is how much insulation have you put under the floor?

Less than 100mm of Kinspan and I reckon you are wasting your time as you will just be heating the under floor void.

Well trust  Dave to put a damper on things  :innocent

But , it has to be said , warming up the Earth's core didn't need to be in your remit .

On the other hand ..............imagine breaking up the floor to get that stuff down :red card

You put me to shame Kerch , I've put off doing our lounge up for 2 years now .

Sorry, I just have an interest in energy eficcient buildings. I'm in the process of building my new house to near passive house standards with 300mm of insulation under the floors, in the walls and roof, not to mention tripple glazed windows etc.  Everyone tells me I won't need to beother with much heating and the 3Kw wood burning stove I plan to fit (the smallest you can buy) is likely to overheat the house even in the middle of winter.

It's all very well putting in 100s of mm insulation on a new build, as opposed to retro fitting.  Our man here, would be banging his head on the ceiling if he put down 300mm of floor insulation! :)

I did some UFH last year, and fitted the ~10mm insulation boarding, recommended and supplied by UFH kit supplier, on a concrete floor.

The floor seems to get warm enough.

+1 to Dave's comments. He put me onto the eBuild forum and I'm still learning. Doing my bathroom refurb as a bit of a guinea pig for new fangled techniques. It opened up a whole new world for me in terms of insulation, cold bridging etc. I've just put 150mm of PIR + 25mm of EPS under my wet UFH bathroom floor. Would have gone thicker but for the amount of digging I had to do. First dig up the existing concrete floor that was 60mm too high. I think I shifted 60 or 80 rubble bags. Then there was the dirt underneath.....think someone reckoned I shifted about +5 tonnes in all.

16803308458_dcc138ef81_z.jpg

17121520002_891a38ab92_z.jpg

it's not just 10mm of underfloor insualtion board, it's also the ply and wooden floorboards underneath which are all insulators in their own right. Not as good as celotex etc etc, but all help.

There was no way it was pracical to fit any insulation beneathe the timber floor. It would have been complete demolition ripping up 90 year old floor boards

best option was to fit 6mm No More Ply, SBR both sides, floor mat, Ultraplan 3240 SLC, flex adhesive and then tiles

looking good so far....tiler was impressed with all,the prep i had done....just turned up and started!

i even stacked tiles ready for him where they were 'to hand'

just still aching and picking adhesive off my knees

Latest posts