Electrical circuit help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RuleB

Reaction score
Hi,

Effectively I am designing a relatively simple circuit for use in a shed, the issue is that I don't have a great deal of electrical knowledge, I am more of a mechanical kind of person.

I am looking for some input as to whether anything looks blatantly wrong in my diagram.

The earth has been omitted for simplicity however it would be daisychained to all of the individual components (switch boxes and lights etc)
I have also removed some of the wago connectors that attach the 3 core cables (in black) to the rest of the circuit for simplicity.
The wago connectors will also be contained within the metal boxes of the switches that isn't shown in the diagram.

Once completed this will all be checked by a qualified electrician, I just wan't to make sure there are no glaring errors first.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 26
What do the switches feed? I assume the 0.2A and 3A are the current ratings of the loads they turn on?

The fundamental thing missing in your drawing is circuit protection. What is the shed powered from? What is the rating of that supply?

Then you need appropriate over current protection for the sockets and the other switched loads, and that won't normally be the same?

What are these switched loads? Is single pole switching appropriate or would double pole be better?

And RCD protection.

And the earthing may not be as simple as you think either.

Seriously it would just be better for the electrician to design it all properly.

Thanks for the reply,

I have left off some of that to simplify the diagram as much as possible for the first pass.

The incoming supply will be 32A from the main incoming supply of the house via a consumer unit that will be placed in the shed which is not pictured, the breaker in the diagram is a branch off of the consumer unit and it will be RCD protected.
An electrician is coming to put in the line from the house to the shed along with the consumer unit etc.

Yes, the amperages are the loads on those lines, those loads are two different style of lights, one draws 0.2A and the other draws 3A

I will add a 7A fuse at the start of the lighting circuit.

As I said, I will be getting an electrician however I am trying to reduce the time he is needed to a minimum.

So with a 32A rated feed I would feed your light circuit from a 10A MCB and your socket circuit from a 16A MCB, not together on the same circuit.

If the feed from the house has an RCD then you don't need another in the shed, but I hope this means you are feeding the shed circuit from an rcbo? You don't want a fault in the shed tripping half the house.

If you are feeding the shed with SWA cable direct from the house consumer unit you may not need an rcd at the house end in which case fit a consumer unit in the shed with an rcd.

Latest posts