Electrical Heating

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gre99y

Reaction score
Guys,

really hope you can help me....

i have bought a glass fronted heater for my wall in the living room of the house I’ve just bought, it is a blyss 2000w 240v bought from screwfix.

it is to replace a heater that has probably been in for 20+ years a Nobo Fabrikker Norway 1600w 240v. All the old heaters except one are broken and I was thinking of replacing them all.

i have changed the fuse spur - checked all my connections and connected the new heater only to find it won’t work.. I have tested the heater by adding a plug and using a normal socket 

and it works fine, I have what seems to be a strange reading when probing the fuse spur with a fluke t90 voltage tester - it reads 24volts and not 240v then after testing a few times it just reads ac... Tested the tester on a light switch and it’s reading240v 

both the heater I have removed and the original are 240v so I’m a bit bamboozled!

is there such a thing as a 24 volt circuit for heating in a home????

any help will be much appreciated

gre99y

Hi guys,

‘no, no timer switches or economy 7. The one original that is working works no matter what time you switch it on...

You haven't said which two points you are getting this "24v" reading from?   e.g. L-E,  L-N, or N-E. Sounds like you have a lose connection somewhere, could be no neutral at the spur. Does the fused spur have a switch? could be a dodgy internal contact on the switch?  I would probably back-up and go a prove polarity and continuity of all conductors dead first from the fusebox. Rather than just poking around live.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am getting the reading from live and neutral ~ cable buried in the wall...

So go back to the origin (dedicated radial circuit from CU perhaps?) and test there. Could be a a cable fault (nail or screw through cable buried in wall) or perhaps the mcb or fuse has blown?)

Better still since (no offence meant) your understanding of electrical circuits is poor, would be to get a qualified electrician to sort it out, he would test and find the fault a lot quicker than you will.