Electrical Inspection Certificate witheld

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penny

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone can give any help. We had a new outbuilding/garage/office built for our small guesthouse. It has power/lights etc. At the same time we had a new consumer unit installed in the main building. All the work has been completed to our satisfaction by a great subcontracted electrician in Nov 2015 when the EIC was registered with ELECSA. We have never seen the electrical certificate which was given to the builder who now refuses to give it to us as we have queried his 'extras' invoices. Having spoken to ELECSA this morning they are unable to give us a copy, and I found out we don't require the Part P as it's classed as commercial. Without the EIC  the building can't get signed off building control. Can the builder legally withold the EIC? Any ideas where I go from here?  

Hmm, interesting, If you live on the premises then I would argue that the works are covered by 'domestic' and therefore part P. In which case it is actually illegal to withold certificates regardless of any financial disputes. If you know who the electrician is, I would contact him/her direct, they should be supplying a copy of cert to you anyway.

Can you contact the electrician who did the work directly (not via the builder)?  He should be able to give you a duplicate copy of the EIC