Electrical supply to a shed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomRoberts180

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am trying to remove a garden shed that has a electrical supply through an armoured cable from the garage. 

There is no specific fuse in the fuse box to isolate only the shed supply but is a fuse on the ‘supply box’. This has a live in and live out cable. 

What would be the best way to isolate the supply ? My plan was to turn off mains, remove fuse and possibly remove the Live Out lead from the box and tape it as well as armoured cable. 

Any help much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

Tom 

TomRoberts180 said:
Hi there,

I am trying to remove a garden shed that has a electrical supply through an armoured cable from the garage. 

There is no specific fuse in the fuse box to isolate only the shed supply but is a fuse on the ‘supply box’. This has a live in and live out cable. 

What would be the best way to isolate the supply ? My plan was to turn off mains, remove fuse and possibly remove the Live Out lead from the box and tape it as well as armoured cable. 

Any help much appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

Tom 
I do have photos of the wiring but it won’t let me attach ?! 

TBH you need to locate the “source “ of the SWA and disconnect it at the garage end ....

obviously turn off off the supply to the garage before you do this AND check it’s actually off before you start fiddling around

TBH you need to locate the “source “ of the SWA and disconnect it at the garage end ....

obviously turn off off the supply to the garage before you do this AND check it’s actually off before you start fiddling around
Hi. Thank you for this. Sorry I wasn’t very clear. I’ve found the source in the garage I just wanted to know if it’s acceptable to just remove the “live out” wire (taping it off in the box) and leaving all the other wires in place. I’d also remove the fuse at source. 

Would an electrician do differently ? 

thanks. Tom 

If that is definitely the cable to the shed , then do as you've said .     

Switch it off ,  remove the fuse .   Disconnect the cable that goes out to your shed  and tape them up . 

If you are going to leave the the cable in situ then I would always remove the live and neutral but leave the cpc connected

even better, short all 3 at the end. that was if anyone does connect it to a supply, itll go bang rather than be lying there live ready to kill someone who touches it