Electrician, college lecturer (electrical) or H&S Inspector?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bane

Reaction score
Hello people!

Currently deciding what route to take with my 'career' as such.

As some of you may or may not know I'm midway through my 2330 and have also completed my 2377 and shall be undertaking my 2382 shortly.

Now, I would appreciate your thoughts as to what you think could be the better career path to take.

As the title suggests, I am considering whether to continue on as an electrician (no plans to setting up on my own as yet but may sub myself out. I am more industrial/commercially experienced).

Become a college lecturer (either on electrical theory or in the workshop).

Or look towards gaining my

NEBOSH General Cert. in Occupational H&S

or

NEBOSH Cert. in Construction H&S

and hopefully work towards becoming an Inspector.

Things I want taken into consideration (not necessarily in chronological order) are:

A) Pay scales/rates

B) Mental v Physical exertion

C) Job satisfaction/fulfillment

D) Scope for progression/promotion

Personally I have already have an idea in my mind as to where I want to be in the next 3yrs but would appreciate the thoughts of the masses.

Thanks.

I'd say it depends what YOU want out of it. I've got a few relatives who've been in trades their entire lives. They're going on 60 now, and not in the best condition physically.

Personally, I'd say a mixture of college lecturer/part-time electrician ticks all the boxes;

A) Relatively good money & holidays

B) A good mix of physical & mental exertion

C) What can be better than seeing the next batch of sparkies passing their exams and getting into the trade?

D) Speaks for itself.

My college tutor (as far as I know he only teaches level 3 302 & 303, as well as 2382/2391 etc) spends the first 3 days of his week as a sparky and Thursday & Friday as a tutor.

i'd be wary of the college lecturer route, it's not as easy as it sounds...

you can teach in a college up to the level you're educated to....

but... you won't get many hours when you start, ....

say if you get 1 class per week for 1 term...( and most sparky courses are p/time 10 weeks eg, 2381 2392 2391.. i think 2377 is 7 weeks) for 2/3 hours....

it might be

i'd be wary of the college lecturer route, it's not as easy as it sounds...you can teach in a college up to the level you're educated to....

but... you won't get many hours when you start, ....

say if you get 1 class per week for 1 term...( and most sparky courses are p/time 10 weeks eg, 2381 2392 2391.. i think 2377 is 7 weeks) for 2/3 hours....

it might be

Only you can decide M8, so I can only speak for myself if I were in your place.

I have no idea what 2330 ,2377 are, college and whatever NEBOSH is would bore me rigid, I suspect the pay would be carp, so that leaves the mental and physical exertion and job satisfaction ............. so become an electrician .

Don't spend your life talking about it , checking it, testing it , ticking boxes ,filling in risk assessments........do it for a living.

I thought you had to be qualified at least 1 tier higher to teach eg need a degree to teach A level students, masters to teach degree level etc?

Where do you see yourself Bane?

If its the money then NEBOSH is a good route, H&S inspectors with these quals are well paid (I think) however it sounds like you need to get some pracical sparkying behind you if you want to lecture.

I did some work in a local college where they teach joinery and roofing and got to know the lecturers.

The lecturers are all ex trade joiners and roofers and they all agree it's a cushy number compared to being on building sites.

Hi Bane,

I think there will be quite a lot of cutbacks in adult education so getting a Tutors job is going to be difficult.

Also dont if you know this but the government are now sending the deliquents to college so they can claim EMA as opposed to letting them sign on the dole. this is part of the strategy of getting all under 24 year olds into work or training. This also means you might end up with a class or classess of no hopers, not interested in the subject but just want a financial benefit. This seems a bit stressful if you know what I mean as you will need keen and motivated students to succeed.

I have heard of these sort of problems lecturers encounter with the different type of students. Evening class, mature students, paying their own fees, generally want to learn all they can. But younger out of school but not in work youths only attending because there were no other options, often don't really want to learn. The same course but with different students can make a big difference to the overall job satisfaction.

Doc H.

Only you can decide M8, so I can only speak for myself if I were in your place.I have no idea what 2330 ,2377 are, college and whatever NEBOSH is would bore me rigid, I suspect the pay would be carp, so that leaves the mental and physical exertion and job satisfaction ............. so become an electrician .

Don't spend your life talking about it , checking it, testing it , ticking boxes ,filling in risk assessments........do it for a living.
That actually made me laugh out loud. Cheers for that! For your info 2330 is the old 236 pt 1+2. 2377 is PAT. 2382 is 17th Edition.

Thanks for your opinions ppl, EXACTLY what i wanted to hear, a few of you made some good points [ian, one person off top of my head].

Apache?

Personally, i don`t see myself going down the electrician route. Quite fancy the lecturers position. As Ian said, the initial syllabus, lesson plans, could be a nightmare and i believe there is a LOT of paperwork involved but it appeals to me and my tutors enjoy it and say it`s much easier than being on the tools.

As for H+S. It's more to do with pay and promotion. Most of my working life has been on/around construction so I have that experience as opposed to some skinny graduate who's never seen a shovel. I left school at an early age to become a groundworker [tarmac, kerbing] and never utilised myself academically which i regret.

Maybe that's why i'm doing all these courses now! Not to mention i want to give my back a rest! Exercise my brain for a change.

Tutor or H+S Inspector is the route i fancy [but leaning towards H+S]

Ha ! Reminds me of a news item on local TV a while ago, something to do with the Fire Brigade fitting smoke detectors for the elderly and infirm. This is fine but the film clip showed a Fire service van draw up at a old lady's house, the guy gets out and, as above, puts on the full Brigade equipment including helmet and visor. All to sticky pad a detector to the ceiling.

Ha ! Reminds me of a news item on local TV a while ago, something to do with the Fire Brigade fitting smoke detectors for the elderly and infirm. This is fine but the film clip showed a Fire service van draw up at a old lady's house, the guy gets out and, as above, puts on the full Brigade equipment including helmet and visor. All to sticky pad a detector to the ceiling.
I was told the FIRE BRIGADE not allowed to climb ladders inside the home so they gave them a bowl on a stick to attach the smoke detectors to the ceiling!

headbang