Electricity supply in Victorian conversion

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hmc279

Reaction score
Hi,

First post, so forgive me if this is is the wrong area... although have used the forum for research/tips frequently in the past!

I recently purchased a 2-bedroom ground floor flat in a converted Victorian terrace in SW London, with a view to doing a complete refurbishment (including full re-wire). The property was converted in late 80's/early 90's and it would appear that the electrics were not done 'properly' at the time.

The main supply from the street is a single-phase supply and is located in our (ground floor flat) basement. I have been told that this would have been adequate when it was a single house but, now that it has been converted into two flats, it does not comply with regulations for two reasons:

1. Because the upstairs flat cannot access the main fuse
  2. Because we are unable to turn off the supply to one flat without also turning off supply for the other

I have contacted UK Power Networks, who have told me that they can come and assess the site to give an estimate of costs for fitting a second, independent electricity supply for the upstairs flat. They have given me a number over the phone of £4,000-£5,000.

I am awaiting confirmation from the upstairs flat owner as to whether or not they have their own fuse box, although I do know that they are metered and billed separately.

What options do I have in this situation... do I just have to bite the bullet and pay for a second supply? Or, if they confirm that they have their own fuse box, could an electrician turn off the power to my flat using our fuse box and carry out the work required?

Am just trying to see if there are alternatives, as forking out £5,000 on the electrics wasn't included as part of my refurb budget!!

Many thanks in advance

I had this occur with a customer with a similar problem .  I became clear that the supply companies have some upgraded rules ,  one of them being that individual flats must now have  their own separate supply  for the reasons that you gave above  ,  

And  yes their quotes are expensive due to stuff like  costs to work on the highway etc.  

The flats I refer to worked quite happily until the landlord needed to look at tenants having their own electric accounts  instead of cash meters ,   basically if he doesn't pay the bill  they dig the road up & cut him off without the legalities  of entering someone else's premises.    

I'd say you are stuck with  paying for the two supplies to be honest . 

Last edited by a moderator:
Surely as separate supplies will benefit both of you, the cost should be split equally between the two flats?

Do you both have your own electricity meter, as in electricty meter owned by the supply company?  Or does one of you pay the full bill and then charge the other for their usage?

If isolation is your only issue you can fit your own isolator in your flat just for your stuff, you will need to pull the fuse and cut off both just for a short time to do that.

Surely as separate supplies will benefit both of you, the cost should be split equally between the two flats?

Do you both have your own electricity meter, as in electricty meter owned by the supply company?  Or does one of you pay the full bill and then charge the other for their usage?

If isolation is your only issue you can fit your own isolator in your flat just for your stuff, you will need to pull the fuse and cut off both just for a short time to do that.

Thanks for the reply.

I would hope that the cost is shared but this is as yet unconfirmed.

Yeah we both have our own meter and are supplied by two different supply companies, so the bills are completely separate.

Regarding isolation - presumably this is something I can get my electrician to do? Or would that have to be done by the supplier ?

AS you both have separate meters and suppliers, I question what you are worrying about?  Unless you both fit 10KW showers and both have a long shower at the same time, the present arrangement is going to to keep on working like it has for the last 25 or more years.

If your concern is how to change your consumer unit as part of a refurbishment, without leaving the other flat without power for a long period, then that is addressed by fitting your own isolator immediately after your meter. You will only need to turn off the other flat for a short time to do that.

If anything it is the other flat who might be more interested in upgrading things as he does not have access to the main fuse so would pose extra challenges.