Electricity Supply - Splitting a house into 2 flats

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny888

Reaction score
Apologise if this not being posted in the right place.

We are working on a development to split an existing house into 2 small individual flats. The planning application perspective and paper work aspect have been completed. And whilst the intention is to use the 2 flats for our own personal use (rather than put them on the market) we want to ensure each unit has its own utility supply.

This brings me to my question; what are the options to split the electricity (and gas but that's out of scope of this forum) in this case - particularly if we were to go down the route of using option 2 below ?

Option 1) set up a second meter from the main supply (i.e. Contact UK Power Network as the distributer to visit the site, create a new supply and have the supplier to install a new meter. This obviously a costly option that in London could run into a few grand.

Option 2) set up a "sub-meter" and split the feed AFTER the feed has reached the house. This is the less costly option, however I understand there could be limitations ? i.e. legally it is required to have a communal area inside the property to place the meters which we won't have. (can this be outstide?) 

Again, even though the two flats would be occupied by ourselves, the ability to have to independent electricity (and gas) bills are very important and also seems like the right way to do things.

Any advise on how to achieve this is welcomed (particularly around scenario 2 , as scenario 1 is pretty clear how it'd work)

Thanks,

Danny

Your only correct option is apply for a new supply to (probably) the upstairs flat, and use the existing supply for the downstairs flat. your DNO should give you a quote. some of the work, e.g digging trenches on your own land will be listed as "contestable" work which you can do yourselves or pay someone else to do.

Dave is correct , thats the way to go .       There are distribution regulations in force now , I believe, that stipulate each flat having its own supply & meter number etc .

I had this problem raise its head recently with Western Power .    Two flats with an upgraded supply cable , capable of supplying two flats but their regs state that they should install a new supply to upstairs  from the street .  About £8000  I think.      They only dig up the pavement  , you have to dig up your own ground ,  put duct in etc. 

Or carry on with the one supply.