Elf and Safety

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not electrically related but when I was at college I worked on a dairy farm. Farmer's father (in his 60's') was muck spreading and went to oil the main sprocket at the front of the muckspreader. This took oil better if spinning gently :|

He removed the guard and set the tractor's PTO spinning. Using his right hand he was pouring oil over the chain and sprocket. His left hand was down by his side. It was cold - he was wearing woolen gloves. The woolen gloves had a loose thread. The thread got caught in the PTO shaft (roughly 100rpm @ tickover). Ripped his thumb clean off.

He drove back 3/4 mile to the farm. His son went to retrieve the thumb and there were tendons hanging out of the thumb ~30cm long! He had red marks up his arm. They couldn't re-attach :(

What surprised me was how little blood there was :)

:eek: :O:O:O Blimey, I dread to think of the possibilties of what might have gone wrong.
looking back it was a stupid thing to do, but hey what a great bunch of work mates !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!