Emergency Lighting Checks & Charges

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedster

Reaction score
Just Wondering what others charge for Annual inspections on Small blocks of flats emergency lighting, 

(typically 3 floors in total) of around 6 to 12 flats and around 10 x non maintained,brick type fittings. 

Also I was recently asked about 6 monthly checks, in addition to the Monthly and Annual checks.

Haven't come across this before.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks,

Speedster. :pray

As Dave says .... 3 hours for the full duration test ..you have to be there to make sure they are powered up again  + travel  + filling out  Emrgy. Ltg Test Cert. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I  have asked before & didnt  get an answer. In many applications 1 hour  duration is deemed acceptable for EM ltg. My view is thats ok but if a fitting says its 3 hours then it should be tested and stay illuminated for 3 hours ?

I believe the testing falls into duration categories,

Every quarter 1 hours test

Every 6 months 2 hour test

And once a year 3 hour test

We normally do monthly (flash) test

6 monthly 1 hour

12 monthly 3 hour

Can't say I've ever heard of a 2 hour test

You have to take into account on how they have been wired.

You may be ok with bulkhead fittings nonmaintained for 3 hrs

But laid in fittings in an office may not beable to be done for a 3hrs

So an arragement will have to sorted out for a 3hr test in those offices

I've never understood the reason for the 3 hr test other than giving the batteries a bit of exercise.

In case of a fire & the lights tripping off, how long would it normally take to evacuate the building? 10 mins?

I believe 1 hour is acceptable if the users are accustomed to the environment.

What is stupid (my view) is when Emg lighting is fitted in the stairwells of flats. The circuit fails, the emg lights come so no one does anything. Then the next week someone phones up to complain only if the regular lighting is not back on

1 hour is acceptable for  a commercial or industrial premises where ,as Splippery says, the occupants are familiar with their surroundings.

Without checking I'd say the stairway of flats would be 3 hours . 

I'm about to have a row with Denmans , as I fitted new batts in some emgy. spots and discovered they didn't do the 3 hours .   

I asked for some batts that would do 3 hours and they said they they couldn't guarantee it but supplied me with another make . 

They have now sent me the invoice for £ 59.00 + VAT   which I have no intention of paying as the originals were not fit for purpose.

We shall see.

Charge for - as has been so often said - depends on how much time it will take you ( which can be affected by the presence / quality of existing records), what your overhead costs are, and how much profit you`re looking for.

I`ve done a domestic EICR on a 1 bed flat with up-to-date records for £60.00 in the past.

I`ve also done an EICR on a pub & accommodation, with no previous records for £4600.00

Emergency lighting periodics ( and, to some extent fire alarm periodics) are going to be affected by the level of complexity, nature & purpose of premises, level of existing paperwork, etc.

Again - for instance:

If I do the PIR on EM lighting to a block of 4 flats that I previously installed - I know where the test facility is, where all the lights are; I can refer back to the original paperwork to check any possible non-compliances.

If I do a periodic EM lighting on a premises with sketchy records, no test facilities, poorly maintained lights, and fittings that have no charge light showing  -I`m going to have to do more work, so I charge appropriately.

To be honest, choosing what to charge is a part of being in business, and is very specific to YOUR business - and is a skill you need to master.

HTH

KME

Latest posts