Emergency Lighting Issue

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jurassic spark

Reaction score
I am currently doing some remedial works to emergency lighting for a supermarket chain, the surveys have been carried out by someone else and I have been given a "pass / fail" on each fitting, I just have to repair or replace, so far so good.  

My problem is that each store seems to have been surveyed by a different person and they all seem to have a different interperatation of BS5266. The main point of contention being when a test keyswitch takes out more  than just the emergency lighting in an area. An example of which is in a cafe area, there are three customer toilets, ladies, gents, disabled plus babychange room and a common corridor linking them. There is one test keyswitch for this area located in an adjacent plantroom, it takes out all the lights in this area. The building is only a year old so you would expect it to comply.

One train of thought is that it does comply because it simulates a power failure, however it could potentially present a dangerous situation if the switch was operated during trading hours when the area was occupied. but this is very unlikely to happen as it should be tested out of trading hours.

I have read BS5266 and it says "each system should have suitable means for simulating a failure of the normal supply for test purposes". So does it comply or not? and if it doesn't, where does it say so?

Your views please.

I take it these are sustained fittings then, so if the light is on and there is power failure or test, then they stay on.

Does that present a problem, it's what would happen in normal operation.

Are the emergencies in the  same fitting as the normal lighting . If yes its difficult to tell when its the Emg or normal in operation so you have to kill the power. This is always the case with maintained stairwell lighting on movement sensors, you dont know if its the sensor or batteries so have to isolate the circuit.

If the building is only 1 year old then the emergency fittings should have been wired through a double pole key switch with the switch wire on one pole and the permanent feed on the other pole so when the key switch is operated only the emergency lights go out leaving the rest on

Last edited by a moderator:
Can I suggest 3 things:

1. One keyswitch is fine - the only reason for multiple keyswitches are different lighting circuits, or later additions. (refer 5266:2011 p.8.3.2)

2. If you`ve been given a schedule by others, its technically not your worry why they`ve failed something - although I assume part of the problem is the failure of the "normal" lighting when the e.m. fittings are tested? In which case:

3. Refer 5266:2011 p.8.3.3. 

:)

KME