Emergency Lighting Query

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This`ll be fun.........

Right - among other things, I`ve just done the annual testing on the EM lighting for a pub & 30 accommodation rooms, over 4  2 storey buildings.

For whatever reason, there is zero existing paperwork - for anything!

One of the biggest problems we have is that no testing points have been provided for any light, anywhere. At the moment, they occasionally trip the breaker, to see if the lights work Grrrrr.

Now three of the four buildings are decorated, to a high standard ( the accommodation blocks are 4* AA rated), they`re not going to be happy if I suggest ripping into the walls.

Many of the lights are in T+E - so we haven`t got a third wire to play with.

So far, my only two thoughts are:

1. Replace EVERY fitting (approx 150) with self-test units.

2. Find a way to wire a test circuit, with the minimum of disruption.

Anyone got any thoughts, other than stringing the original guy up by the gonads?

is every light required to be illuminated under fault conditions?

30 rooms, plus 2 [maybe, per outside the rooms] = 90 lights, just over half. 

Put a key switch beside the dist board for each lighting circuit,

I've had to that before because of the same scenario as you've come across.

Don't "think" that will comply with the EM Ltg regs.

I'd have to check, but, I thought that the test switch was not to affect the normal lighting in the premises?

You`d be correct snakey one ;)

Nice idea Bacon - but non-compliant, I`m afraid.

Slips - yes, I`d considered that - Even using Albert`s process of "half of `em" - that`s going to be a LOT of test switches...........

Besides - I think that we need to provide test facility for ALL of `em, to comply - though I may be wrong.

We`ve also got to add some more - the DB cupboards and associated areas don`t have any at the moment.

Albert: One per room (28W 2D) ( 1st floor not too bad, as I can access the loft space - gnd floor a bit harder - maybe!!......thinking going on.........)

Plus one on the face of the stairwell (8W linear), and another over the final exit door. I think they need one on the top landing - it`s a change of direction, top of the stairs, AND the cupboard housing the DBs is there, too.....

I've come across some install where they have put the key beside each light on the ceiling,

May be a ball ache to do but it's a way round it.