Emergency Lighting

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barker

Reaction score
I have been asked to quote for installing some emergency lighting in a nursery school, the issue is the CU is already full to bursting with no spare ways. Currently the existing lighting is only on an MCB and not covered by an RCD so there would be no nuisiance tripping, so the question is, is it perfectly ok to just hook into the exsisting lighting circuit? Or if not what would you do?

TA!

From the questions ive come across in 17th edition-emergency lighting should be supplied by primary cells or parrallel supplies.

Trouble is in my mind as it is emergency lighting-even with no rcd to cause nuisance tripping if there were a fault with a light shorting out and mcb did trip the emergency lighting wouldnt be much of a cop-so maybe im wrong but I would personally say for the safety of the children a small switch fuse could be added with an enclosure to house a completely seperate mcb-as there is no room in orig cu.

Possibly others will disagree

The emergency lights should be on the same circuit as the lights in the area that they are going to be in, so that they come on if these circuits should trip for any reason.

Yes of course I agree-I thought the question was asking in a way that the emergency lighting would be wired in to mains in which case they wouldnt work anyway-but if they are battery powered then thats the way to go. LOL

if you're making changes to the lighting circuit (i.e. adding emergency lighting) then you have to make sure the the circuit meets the regs - if the wiring isn't suitably mechanically protected then it requires rcd protection. is there room in the board to replace the mcb with a rcbo ?

if you're making changes to the lighting circuit (i.e. adding emergency lighting) then you have to make sure the the circuit meets the regs - if the wiring isn't suitably mechanically protected then it requires rcd protection. is there room in the board to replace the mcb with a rcbo ?
I would imagine that the school would be a supervised area in regards to rcd's and electrical installs

Connect your emergency lights to the local lighting circuit via key switches. Unless I have interpreted the new regs wrongly, the obsession with RCDs is for (a) Flush wiring and (B) domestic property. As far as I know, commercial premises, schools, and in your case , a nursery school, there is no requirement for an RCD as the installation is under the control of a competent person.

I could be wrong , see what others say.

Deke

I personally would only put sockets on an Rcd in a school never the lights as there is no need too. A teacher is unlikely to put a nail through a cable although I suppose its possible. I would think caretaker would put pictures up.

Batty

..there is no requirement for an RCD as the installation is under the control of a competent person.I could be wrong , see what others say.

Deke
The kids may be under control of a "competent person" but is said person competent with regard to the electrical installation?

Fit an RCD and sleep easy at night!

J

Unless I have interpreted the new regs wrongly, the obsession with RCDs is for (a) Flush wiring and (B) domestic property. As far as I know, commercial premises, schools, and in your case , a nursery school, there is no requirement for an RCD as the installation is under the control of a competent person.I could be wrong , see what others say.

Deke
for lighting circuits (and other fixed appliance circuits), i would agree. sockets probably should, but thats for another thread

The kids may be under control of a "competent person" but is said person competent with regard to the electrical installation?Fit an RCD and sleep easy at night!

J
surely they just need to be instructed where (not) to stick nails/screws in walls for pictures and your done.

after all, how many accidents have been caused by there not being an RCD there when work done to 16th or earlier

for lighting circuits (and other fixed appliance circuits), i would agree. sockets probably should, but thats for another thread
Don't forget this is a nursery school Rcd on sockets should be a must. I personally would not Rcd protect lighting as I do not think it is necessary.

Batty

surely they just need to be instructed where (not) to stick nails/screws in walls for pictures and your done.after all, how many accidents have been caused by there not being an RCD there when work done to 16th or earlier
Teaching staff seem to change every five minutes. Are you going to call the spark back, for instruction purposes, every time there is a new member of staff?

]:) J

Teaching staff seem to change every five minutes. Are you going to call the spark back, for instruction purposes, every time there is a new member of staff? ]:) J
whats wrong with a simple instruction notice for any new staff. in nursery procedure. something along the lines of 'nothing to be fixed to any wall without checking location is safe - speak to X for more advice', and tell Mr(s). X that cables will be there and do not attach anything to wall. maybe leave them a diagram of 'safe' routes

whats wrong with a simple instruction notice for any new staff. in nursery procedure. something along the lines of 'nothing to be fixed to any wall without checking location is safe - speak to X for more advice', and tell Mr(s). X that cables will be there and do not attach anything to wall. maybe leave them a diagram of 'safe' routes
Nothing, Andy, but I am just highlighting the fact that it is not as simple as it appears. We all need to have a crystal ball in our tool kits, nowadays.

J

I did a nursery school last year, all sockets are on rcd's, kids play with sockets.

The lighting circuit is not on rcd.

The responsible person in a school is normally the caretaker, or the headteacher, both have risk assessment folders and method statements that are passsed to anyone who takes over.

Back to the emergency lighting, if you read the emergency lighting certificates it will tell you that if not connected to a local lighting circuit,it is a deviation from conformity.

BS 5266-1 clause reference 7.2(that is for non maintained units)

The point I am making ( and the Regs is too) is that in premises such as this, work is carried out by competent tradesmen who are supposed to check where cables are before drilling holes in them, the staff would not be doing such work ,as in an office,say, therefore the RCD reg. does not apply . AFAIK.

I agree with the point about RCD,s on the sockets in a nursery , to make the outlets safe and whatever is plugged in , but hardly to protect the flush wiring from 6 yr olds with SDS drills .