ethernet card problems

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying Scotsman

Electrician
Reaction score
Does anyome know why the new ethernet card sends packets of data no problem, and says connected to the router, 10/100mbps but does not recieve, is there something in the setup im missing.

please give us a bit of help as im baffled

How have you got it connected up, is it to a router or straight to another PC.

Are you using the correct type of cable (I.E. cross over or straight through), should be cross over if connecting PC to PC and straight through for all other connections

oh the routers fine as my pc is normally connected, and so is tha laptop, but this other pc is a customers that im trying to fix for them

not sure if this is of any issue here or not, but Im having problems with getting ports opened, would that be an issue here?

apparently you need ports available on your router as well as on your computer.

ps, I once had norton on my laptop, when I did a scan with kaspersky I found over 200! that norton had missed!!!!!

The fact it works in one direction means it is installed correctly, so that leaves the following as possible causes:

Incoming connections being blocked in the firewall?

Defective cable?

Defective network card?

Defective port on the router?

What makes you say it sends data no problem but doesn't receive it?

Can you elaborate more on the problem?

I fixed a friends the other day... "I think it has a virus??"Did a scan with AVG on it and found just over 1800

Now that must get the prize for most viruses!!
Lucky that wasn't 5,000 or more viruses, or it could have turned into a full blown "Man Flu".

not sure if this is of any issue here or not, but Im having problems with getting ports opened, would that be an issue here?apparently you need ports available on your router as well as on your computer.

ps, I once had norton on my laptop, when I did a scan with kaspersky I found over 200! that norton had missed!!!!!
God I hate any Symantec stuff especialy that, bloody useless it is.

I use ESET NOD32, have had no problems in all the time I have had it installed. :)

Norton is crap. My old dear has it on her PC and it is as slow as a tired tortoise.

Got free AVG on mine, no probs.