Euros / footie

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The prima donnas and their WAGS of the 90s and onwards totally turned me from football and I have little interest in if anymore. Had one of the teams from that era won a major tournament it would have been intolerable.

Gareth seems to have ironed that out of todays players and should they win then good on them.

Like electrical work I ain't no expert and to my eyes Southgate has been pretty nailed on but why bring two cold subs on with minutes to go both of whom who failed in the penalty shoot out. 

I am no footie fan or expert.  My take:

First half England played well.  Obviously first 2 minutes brilliant.

Second half.  What the F went wrong?  England hardly had posession of the ball and spent all the time defending a strong Italian side and let one in.  WHY were there no substitutions during that time to try and change something?

Extra time first half was again dominated by Italy, only into the second half of Extra time, did England start to wake up again and start playing.

As for penalties, hitting the post.  Enough said. Italy I am afraid to say deserved to win.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do feel Southgate is too defensive. I'm not footie expert either, but I've always reckoned the best defence is attack as this stops the opposition playing, plus 1 goal against a side like Italy is not enough in my opinion. 

The players were clearly up for a game from the off, so whatever was said at half time changed the whole game, I don’t believe the players suggested they ought to defend only. 
What Southgate did was against all that he had done before in the tournament the question is why? 
when Spain played the pressing game against Italy, Italy were lost didn’t have a plan B, they were the same in the first half against us -clueless. We stood off them and they gained confidence suddenly Italy had time to play. 
we didn’t lose the game we gave it away. 

Well ........ Italy were the stronger team on the night and I think they did deserve victory - the English team was much younger so fingers crossed they can use this tournament as a test and do better next year.

But the decision on the penalty takers looked a bit odd to say the least.

Not long before Italy scored I jokingly said it could to with Italy scoring to liven it up a bit. My girlfriend now blames me for the defeat. 

Well ........ Italy were the stronger team on the night and I think they did deserve victory - the English team was much younger so fingers crossed they can use this tournament as a test and do better next year.

But the decision on the penalty takers looked a bit odd to say the least.

Agreed...   (I am no major football fan or follower.. but I do watch the Euro's & World Cup matches)  

And whichever way you look at it..  

England lost, but did not fail..   looking at the broad picture they did well..   

Only letting in 2 goals from set pieces through the whole tournament..

And Italy have a track record of 30+ unbeaten matches..

so to hold them off for 90mins + 30mins extra time, is not bad going..

And Pickford saved 2 penalties in a shoot-out in a final is not bad going...

Maybe England could have won it by a few strategic substitutes earlier on.. And a bit more thirst to go for the win before it went to penalties...

But if they did win..  I guess many would claim it was only down to "home-advantage"...

So..  

building on this and working toward a "Non-Home" win would actually carry more weight IMHO!

In other tournaments after a loss we would be calling for a change of Manager....

But if the core-team members can use this to develop and grow stronger in the areas needing a bit of attention..

then they would have as good a chance as anyone else to make major headway at the World Cup.