EV Charger...double pole MCB?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Points noted and maybe have been quite lucky so far installing mainly dual RCD boards. Will reconsider this but realise will need to upsell to potential customers as very often get beaten on price even installing these. Especially in these days of landlords just wanting cheapest option to gain compliance. Did a price comparison, and on a 13 Way DB with 10 x RCBO's comes in around £150 more expensive (and this was BG so other brands likely to be quite a bit more expensive) Type A's becoming more standard now and are currently more expensive. If manufacturer still producing both type A's and AC'c would you consider using just A types for socket circuits as my understanding is that this is where the potential risks of DC faults lie. Lighting circuits etc not so much a concern with this?

Cheers
so how much do you charge roughly for a dual rcd board change?

For me it’s simple, I only quote for RCBO boards. If I don’t win the business, I don’t care

Hager produce dual type A rcd boards which are 100A rated, jobs a good one. Complete compliance. 

so how much do you charge roughly for a dual rcd board change?

For me it’s simple, I only quote for RCBO boards. If I don’t win the business, I don’t care
You didn't stipulate are going full type A's now or a combination?

I solely stick type A in now for everything, price difference isn't all that much. In most cases a new board is going to sit there for the next 10 to 15 years at least, new appliances, lighting and god knows what other new stuff that is brought out is going to be hanging off those circuits in that time, future proof it as best you can. 

Points noted and maybe have been quite lucky so far installing mainly dual RCD boards. Will reconsider this but realise will need to upsell to potential customers as very often get beaten on price even installing these. Especially in these days of landlords just wanting cheapest option to gain compliance. Did a price comparison, and on a 13 Way DB with 10 x RCBO's comes in around £150 more expensive (and this was BG so other brands likely to be quite a bit more expensive) Type A's becoming more standard now and are currently more expensive. If manufacturer still producing both type A's and AC'c would you consider using just A types for socket circuits as my understanding is that this is where the potential risks of DC faults lie. Lighting circuits etc not so much a concern with this?

Cheers

many people are charging £1k for a board change these days, so £150 is easily absorbed. However, if you take the time to explain to people the RCBOs cost more but offer far greater reliability, I've found even landlords will take the option as they have all suffered call outs mid winter when something has tripped the RCD and left the rental property with no heating etc etc, and can't get hold of an electrician because we are all busy and it's the weekend. 

many people are charging £1k for a board change these days, so £150 is easily absorbed. However, if you take the time to explain to people the RCBOs cost more but offer far greater reliability, I've found even landlords will take the option as they have all suffered call outs mid winter when something has tripped the RCD and left the rental property with no heating etc etc, and can't get hold of an electrician because we are all busy and it's the weekend. 
Is this so? Well if that’s the case maybe I need to be more actively involved in doing some, £1k per day is manageable by my standards. :C  

Status
Not open for further replies.