EV charger installers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My question is about the recent updates to bs7671 with regards ev charger instlations. If your not using a evc with built in pen loss detection, how do you install a evc. Are you still using earthrod TT Island. I see some new technolgy on the market so just interested in what installers are using if any. 
Good morning, i just found an YouTube video made by efix who made this video with a professor who was involved with the zappy ev charger and they worked with the eit. There e are 2 videos her is the link for the first one. It talks about the ammendment and ident 5. Their second video goes onto explain in greater detail and simulates testing with faults. I found this very intresting and it had awnsered quite a few topics we were all party to. Enjoy. 

I hope I was allowed to add this link, just thought about it now. Opps is it OK. 

I personally know the people behind eFixx, and I know how the organisation is structured.

I also know many academics who do not understand compliance with relevant UK product laws.

Product compliance and how to meet relevant standards & laws is rarely taught to students at university, not even at PhD level.

I have inspected the documentation for many vehicle charging related products and I am pretty sure I could build a good case in court for non-compliance.

Too much confidence is being put in compliance with BS 7671 and not enough in product safety.

Please realise that until I was hospitalised my work was as a consulting engineer and expert witness in legal cases for product compliance with the LVD & the MD, and PUWER compliance.

I have been doing this as my main source of income for many years now.

So my understanding and interpretation of the standards and legislation has been tested and not found lacking.

2 hours ago, Gian said:

Good morning, i just found an YouTube video made by efix who made this video with a professor who was involved with the zappy ev charger and they worked with the eit. There e are 2 videos her is the link for the first one. It talks about the ammendment and ident 5. Their second video goes onto explain in greater detail and simulates testing with faults. I found this very intresting and it had awnsered quite a few topics we were all party to. Enjoy. 

The problem is generally joe public have zero idea of power,  The majority of people thinking that plugging in a 3kw sustained load for around 10 hours is ok and because it comes from a car manufacturer it must be ok to use anywhere.

hit , nail and head

I replaced a standard IP socket for a chap with a BMW i3 about 18 months ago - not only was he using this each night for his granny charger, but he also used a standard extension lead as the front garden was quite long - I added a note to his invoice recommending that he had a proper EV point installed - no idea if he did, but his view was its working, so why bother spending any money

You can lead a horse to water ............

hit , nail and head

I replaced a standard IP socket for a chap with a BMW i3 about 18 months ago - not only was he using this each night for his granny charger, but he also used a standard extension lead as the front garden was quite long - I added a note to his invoice recommending that he had a proper EV point installed - no idea if he did, but his view was its working, so why bother spending any money

You can lead a horse to water ............
Your spot on, its the same with caravan leads. 

tumble driers tend to be around 2.5kw constant load, and having seen the way some people have their tumble drier running all day, every day without issue, is a granny charger much worse? Having said that I've also seen the results of a tumble drier fire. 

tumble driers tend to be around 2.5kw constant load, and having seen the way some people have their tumble drier running all day, every day without issue, is a granny charger much worse? Having said that I've also seen the results of a tumble drier fire. 

A lot of charge points have a load limiting CT clamp which is usually set to 55A so,,,, at the moment,,, it's not a problem.... god knows how the network will cope when every other house has an EV

but if you want to cry you need to have a look on the "UK Electric Vehicle owners club" on FB.... they all think that it's not a problem using a granny charger plugged into whatever socket they like,,,, without a thought as to wether it needs O-Pen protection

A lot of charge points have a load limiting CT clamp which is usually set to 55A so,,,, at the moment,,, it's not a problem.... god knows how the network will cope when every other house has an EV

but if you want to cry you need to have a look on the "UK Electric Vehicle owners club" on FB.... they all think that it's not a problem using a granny charger plugged into whatever socket they like,,,, without a thought as to wether it needs O-Pen protection
 we'll be fine....image.png

My question is about the recent updates to bs7671 with regards ev charger instlations. If your not using a evc with built in pen loss detection, how do you install a evc. Are you still using earthrod TT Island. I see some new technolgy on the market so just interested in what installers are using if any. 
I now have this Veridian ev control centre and I thought I would share some pictures for those who may be interested. 

1614260685984DSC_0354.JPG

DSC_0352.jpg

DSC_0350.jpg

If that was my design I would be concerned about those big copper input and output terminals soldered to the PCB.

They are already going to be under stress from the screw terminals and additional stress will be caused by heating and cooling during operation.

40amps is a lot on a PCB and in my experience joints like that are serious failure risk.

If that was my design I would be concerned about those big copper input and output terminals soldered to the PCB.

They are already going to be under stress from the screw terminals and additional stress will be caused by heating and cooling during operation.

40amps is a lot on a PCB and in my experience joints like that are serious failure risk.
Let's see how long it lasts, I will do very frequent testing for sure. 

Your decision.

I have my ideas on this and I believe that I can back them up with the standards and legislation.
Are you saying that any device including all new ev chargers like the zappi are not safe or do not conform. 

Are you saying that any device including all new ev chargers like the zappi are not safe or do not conform. 
What I believe I have said is that of the devices I have been asked to look at, I have not yet seen adequate evidence presented to me that they conform, thus I cannot say that they should be safe to use.