Evans Electric ( Deke)

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

Joined
Sep 15, 2008
Messages
23,530
Reaction score
525
Location
Birmingham
Does anyone know the correct procedure when faced with the old Bill Switchgear type dist. boards with asbestos pads either on the fuse carrier or in the fuse holder. We are being told not to remove the fuses and that the boards should now be replaced ( by specialists)

 

The Godfather

Retired
Joined
Mar 24, 2008
Messages
1,302
Reaction score
0
Good question, sadly I nor my boys have an answer, other than safety first.

The Godfather

 
Joined
Mar 28, 2008
Messages
13,622
Reaction score
298
Yep I will ditto the above comments..

welcome to the forum.. Evans.. :D :D

One hell of a good opening question... :)

BUT I cannot offer any help for you on this one m8... :(

Got any easer questions?? ?:|

give us a chance?? :p

 

Admin1

Forum Founder
Joined
Feb 6, 2008
Messages
10,278
Reaction score
-1
Surely - Your local "Evviromental Health" would be able to confirm or deny?

 
Joined
Sep 15, 2008
Messages
23,530
Reaction score
525
Location
Birmingham
Thanks for the swift replies guys. 'elf n Safety do'nt say for definate what action to take, as in , yes they must be removed. They have issued a leaflet aimed at the asbestos removal people which says get an electrician to make the board safe, cut wires off above the fuses ,vac it out, bag it and dump it. Do not remove the fuses.

My part P supplier say much the same.

This prompts the question ,of course, what are we supposed to do when faced with a blown fuse or even opening the door ?

Deke

 
Joined
Mar 28, 2008
Messages
13,622
Reaction score
298
Thanks for the swift replies guys. 'elf n Safety do'nt say for definate what action to take, as in , yes they must be removed. They have issued a leaflet aimed at the asbestos removal people which says get an electrician to make the board safe, cut wires off above the fuses ,vac it out, bag it and dump it. Do not remove the fuses. My part P supplier say much the same.

This prompts the question ,of course, what are we supposed to do when faced with a blown fuse or even opening the door ?

Deke
RUN AWAY!!! :eek: :^O:^O:^O:^O:^O:p

or...

get the apprentice to do it while you pop out for a Guiness Drink

 

Mr Sworld

Electrical Technician
Joined
Mar 21, 2008
Messages
1,152
Reaction score
0
Does anyone know the correct procedure when faced with the old Bill Switchgear type dist. boards with asbestos pads either on the fuse carrier or in the fuse holder. We are being told not to remove the fuses and that the boards should now be replaced ( by specialists)
As long as it is white asbestos and in good condition I'd leave it be, you can create more of a hazard removing it then leaving it in place.

I'm not sure if blue or brown were ever used in fuseboards but they need to be removed by a specialist company if they are found.

To be honest the small amout of asbestos modern day sparks will encounter, especially in domestic situations, is not going to kill you. Most sufferers worked in industries that had it everywhere! Ships boiler rooms, roof manufacturers etc.

Personally, I carry Asbestos warning stickers now and slap them on the front of the board. I would advise removal and upgrade of the CU but that's upto the owner.

You are, however, well within your rights to refuse to work on it.

 

steptoe

of course Im wrong, ask my wife™
Joined
Feb 13, 2008
Messages
24,346
Reaction score
121
Location
Gtr Manchester
As long as it is white asbestos and in good condition I'd leave it be, you can create more of a hazard removing it then leaving it in place.I'm not sure if blue or brown were ever used in fuseboards but they need to be removed by a specialist company if they are found.

To be honest the small amout of asbestos modern day sparks will encounter, especially in domestic situations, is not going to kill you. Most sufferers worked in industries that had it everywhere! Ships boiler rooms, roof manufacturers etc.

Personally, I carry Asbestos warning stickers now and slap them on the front of the board. I would advise removal and upgrade of the CU but that's upto the owner.

You are, however, well within your rights to refuse to work on it.
AH, but you cant tell just by looking at it! its not the physical visible colour that determines the seriousness of the danger, it needs to be chemically tested for the colour to show!

you do realise that virtually every artexed ceiling done until the late 90s prob contains asbestos? it was only banned in the UK in 1998, most people seem to think it was stopped in the 70s, that was only the import of pre-made materials containing asbestos, the raw material was still imported and used.

:eek: :O:O

 
Joined
Sep 15, 2008
Messages
23,530
Reaction score
525
Location
Birmingham
In answer to Trailer Boy I seem to remember the term apprentice but have not encountered one for nearly twenty years. There were loads of 'em when I stared in the trade (1961) in fact I was one myself. They used to chase boxes in, make tea and screw runners and nipple sticks ( Who remembers nipple sticks ?) Oh, and plug fixing holes with a Rawlplug tool ( No hammer drills !!)

Must stop reminising, it gets boring but I really appreciate PVC conduit and SDS drillers !!

Deke

 
Joined
Mar 28, 2008
Messages
13,622
Reaction score
298
In answer to Trailer Boy I seem to remember the term apprentice but have not encountered one for nearly twenty years. There were loads of 'em when I stared in the trade (1961) in fact I was one myself. They used to chase boxes in, make tea and screw runners and nipple sticks ( Who remembers nipple sticks ?) Oh, and plug fixing holes with a Rawlplug tool ( No hammer drills !!) Must stop reminising, it gets boring but I really appreciate PVC conduit and SDS drillers !!

Deke
Can I just add at this point... I have in my younger days..

fixed equipment at the top of a ladder,

with a rawplug tool and hammer!!!! :( :_| :_| :_|

oh the joys of progress! ;) :) :)

 
Joined
May 7, 2008
Messages
11,445
Reaction score
432
Location
Sunny Plymouth
AH, but you cant tell just by looking at it! its not the physical visible colour that determines the seriousness of the danger, it needs to be chemically tested for the colour to show!
Its not even the colour its the physical state of the material, namely, dust the different colours are more/less prone to becoming dusty. As long as you avoid breathing in the dust then everthing should be hunky - dory. Hence asbestos leaflet that came from NICEIC recently was advising use of a water spray to damp down surfaces when making holes in ceilings. don't fancy spraying water in fuse holder though:^O

 

sparkyrj

Well-known member
Joined
May 29, 2008
Messages
180
Reaction score
0
Location
Burnham
with such a small amount, just wear a good facemask , put it in a plastic bag and seal it up . The only problem then could be getting rid of it though. In my area in sussex there are only one or two council tips that will take it .

 

paulh

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2008
Messages
144
Reaction score
0
I thought the law says you must be licenced to remove asbestos. Also I was told it only takes one fibre to start the damage..looks like I have probably exceeded my quota when I was an apprentice in the 70's:O

 
Joined
Feb 14, 2008
Messages
7,480
Reaction score
21
Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
They used to chase boxes in, make tea and screw runners and nipple sticks ( Who remembers nipple sticks ?)Deke
Ahh, the good old days. I used to wait until the plumbers had gone ( they always finished before us) and climb into their compound to use the Rigid threading machine. You had to wedge our 20mm dies in the machine as they were not meant to thread such small pipe. My foreman never worked out how i managed to do them all so quick ;)

PS, you forgot about painting runners, another apprentice favorite :(

 
Top