Evolution Saws

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the odd bit of steel cutting at home I have always used small/large grinders following on from what I use at work. We only ever hire in a cut off saw if we have a lot of repetitive cutting - we do that little. Maybe a handrail job once in a blue moon.

However, I recently bought, on special offers both the circular saw (185mm blade) (from Tesco) AND sliding mitre chop saw (255mm blade) (from B&Q) "EVOLUTION RAGE" ones - black and orange. They're NOT precision tools and I wouldn't recommend for cabinet making etc but for stud framework, garage/shed building and the odd bit of steel up to 8mm thick they're spot on AND all with the same blade. Bit of 2"x2" ali angle followed by a steel scaffold tube then a lump of 6"x2" timber and maybe few lengths of 20/25 steel conduit all a doddle, one after the other, wood with nails, hinges in etc, etc. In that respect it does what it says on the tin.

The sliding saw is effin useless IMHO (because of the naff depth stop) to cut accurate, tenons or through housings in timber though but fine for other stuff! I use a radial arm for that anyway.

The circular saw - had one and returned it as when cutting against a fence - say across an 8'x4" sheet it would cut so far then jam against the fence. Took it back and got another - same issue. I found the base plate wasn't parallel to the blade so needed to pack out with a washer. All good now. I wrote to Evolution about this.

GOGGLES are a must when cutting steel with these saws. I wouldn't even chance the odd crafty cut like I have been known to do with the mini-grinder. Because it is pretty much spark less cutting with these Evolution blades you tend to get flying "chips". Very weird cutting "feel" as they run at about half the rpm of a normal dedicated wood saw with the same sized blade.

They also do green coloured ones - not used them so can't comment!

I have the evolution 185 circ saw.

Bought it as had a lot of floorboards to rip up and my battery dewalt isnt really designed for that. It is superb at it, straight through nails like they arnt there so dont have to worry sbout avoiding them. At £49 quid it earnt its money within hours.

Downside is its a bit awkward to use being largeish and me being left handed, and the cut doesnt go no where near to the edge of the board as the dewalt does but these arnt real problems just inherit to this type of saw over a 'trimsaw' as such.

overall cant go wrong for the money!

I have one too an I am impressed by it. When I got mine it is the only tool I have bought that came with a pair of goggles - that is saying something!

The cuts through metal are cool to touch and very clean. I made a simple jig from ply so I just line up the edge of the ply with my line and run the saw along. Saves a lot of working out.

Just found the emails out of interest that I had with Evolution. Either my two circulars were from a bad batch or they cured it! Interesting to see someone using a fence without issue. Love the way Nigel came back suggesting I try removing the riving knife:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Clive ,

I would return this machine and have it checked.

However before you do this try removing the riving knife off of the machine and try some cuts the Riving knife is the piece that looks like a sharks fin at the rear of the machine.

Regards

Nigel

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nigel,

I've just been out and tried another fence with the same result. I think I have found the problem - the blade is not set parallel to the base. I measure 99mm one end and 100mm the other - see attached photo. These measurements are pretty accurate - I'm an engineer by trade. What do you think, should I return this or try and use some packing washers to square it all up? Looks to be a quality issue. The saw is brand new this evening straight out of the box. Many thanks for the reply. I just picked up my RAGE 185mm TCT Circular Saw (bought through Tesco Direct). I bought this as a replacement for my old Skilsaw primarily to cut up some chipboard doors for use as shelving etc. I already have your 255mm Sliding Mitre Saw which I'm more than happy with.

P6250216.jpg

I first tried cutting 44mm thick solid chipboard using a fence clamped to the board. Work piece is approx 500mm wide. It seemed to cut OK to about halfway then started to struggle so I stopped.

I then cut through a piece of 6mm thick aluminium plate (without a fence) about 150mm wide. No problems here, very quick and easy. Almost like it wasn't there.

I went back to the 44mm chipboard and tried cutting
without
the fence. Oddly enough it cut OK - a bit splintery but it went through the whole 500mm width without a struggle.

Tried the fence again and the same result - went about halfway through then struggled.

Any ideas? I need to use the fence for accuracy. I am using the multi-purpose blade, I wonder if the dedicated wood blade would be better? I note the multi-purpose blade is quite thin when compared to similar sized "standard" TCT blades, is it maybe bending?

I'll try another fence this evening but at this rate I may have to keep it just for metal and buy another Skilsaw or Bosch for the wood.

Rgds

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I have a sliding chop saw and a saw bench

Chop saw, as you say it is not for cabinet making. But for everyday stuff 4 x 2 3 x 2 5 x 2 6 x 1 skirting s and arcs it is brilliant.

Depth of cut is a BIG issue when cutting. Tried doing the coving on top of kitchen units this weekend. Thought absolute doddle,[ as easy as working for the BBC for 54 days...bottling the job....resigning and getting 445000 quid for it FFS what do we pay the licence fee for. rant finishes]....anyway I was wrong as saw would not cut a straight 45 mitre as the hinge got in the way. So, I thought of doing it on the flat with a compound mitre! Never tried it before, not as simple as it sounds....spring angle, bevel offset. If ever you get bored, try it!

Saw bench....OK when you have twiddled and tweaked it. If you think it will work with any accuracy out of the box then you are in for a nasty surprise. Rip fence swollocks about like betty, ok when you get used to it though.

For the money both are worth it...just remember the accuracy issues

the sliding saw is £99 in screwfix, im tempted.

the sliding saw is £99 in screwfix, im tempted.
If it's the "green" one I'm thinking of here then its even cheaper now as 10% off:

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-tools/bench-tools/table__flip_over___combination_saws/Evolution-Fury-6-Table-Saw-12448585?skuId=12969291

I think this is pretty clever combing chip and table saw in one unit. Note though it is only a 210mm blade. I have one of the orange sliding mitre saw with a 255mm blade.There is note, a difference between the green "Fury" range and orange "Rage" range: The green ones are aimed at the diyer and the orange at the more serious diyer / trade user hence also being available in 110V. The blades for the two systems vary in quality / longevity and (possibly max rpm too?). Not tried the green ones myself. I know the orange, combined table / mitre saw "equivalent" is about 2 1/2 times the price of the green one elsewhere.

Out of interest you can get for these saws a diamond/tile blade and also a finer cut blade for wood.

http://www.evolutionpowertools.com/uk/faqs/

To be honest not sure the combined bobby would be very much use. Very limited depth of cut and way too short fences to achieve any vague degree of accuracy.

I'm still supportive of the concept.

I spoke to the manufacturers when I was looking at buying one as I had the crazy idea of putting one of their blades in my existing circular saw, but they are designed to run slower and with more torque so they said it would be dangerous. The motor housing is big compared to similar sided circular saws I have had.

As matty was asking about these saws in another thread I dug mine out and took a couple of shots of the "fix" washer I fitted to make the blade parallel to the base plate - so it doesn't jam up against a fence.

Sam_5460a_zps92218987.jpg

Sam_5459a_zps2331e63b.jpg

If anyone's interested I'll mic the washer up and give the dimns of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just been to Screwfix and bought them today £99 for the pair appears to be a good deal, have a job lined up forr them tomorrow.  Thanks for the OnOff for the info on that.

Just been to Screwfix and bought them today £99 for the pair appears to be a good deal, have a job lined up forr them tomorrow.  Thanks for the OnOff for the info on that.
FFS wear safety googles when using these (gloves of course too but deffo the goggles)! As I've said before the chop saw DOESN'T "chop" like a normal wood saw. When cutting steel it throws off like "chips". AND use the provided clamp.

Great bits of kit, I have had the chop saw, now sold onto someone else who was impressed when seeing me use it, the sliding mitre saw and the hand held circular. They all work very well and accurately, after a bit of adjustment, I have also sorted out the problem with the circular saw binding by adding a sutable size washer behind the base plate mounting. If you have an MF ceiling to install you will save half a days labour by using these over using tin snips, a file and a hammer.

Great cuts and the blades although cheap last for ages..

Latest posts