exactly what to test replacement cu

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisgjudd

Reaction score
hi thanks to all the guys who advised on my forthcoming initial niceic inspection in respect to my replacing my father in laws consumer unit. The information offered was of great help leaving just the question of what i should fill in on the eic. i.e everything or ????

cheers in anticipation chrisgjudd

p.s is the nic good for public liability or can another party be recommended???? ]:)

Not a member of that sham (NIC) but when it comes to filling in an EIC fill in EVERY section, even if you enter "N/A" or "LIM". Never ever leave any blanks (for other to fill in on your behalf!).

Blimey for PI don't get it from any of the scams. Most brokers can easily offer a cheaper deal am with Axa (worlds biggest insurance company) which I get through Holbrooks Insurance of Godalming. Usual 2M cover etc. I pay a

i meant to say what should you test as i agree all boxes must be filled in

cheers chrisgjudd

OK Chris.

Dead cct tests -

IR on all ccts.

Continuity on all ccts. as in R1+R2 and/or R2

Continuity of main conductors, visual is not enough.

In theory polarity but not worth it.

then light up and test

Ze

Zs on all ccts and make sure they all meet requirements.

RCD if present.

No need for a full blown CRIPPLE sequence.

Get paid and then hand out cert. file job with LABC. Go to pub and have a couple of pints.

OK Chris.In theory polarity but not worth it.
With reference to the Ring main:

The polarity correct status, is verified by the ring continuity tests automatically.

Don

hi thanks to all the guys who advised on my forthcoming initial niceic inspection in respect to my replacing my father in laws consumer unit. The information offered was of great help leaving just the question of what i should fill in on the eic. i.e everything or ????cheers in anticipation chrisgjudd

p.s is the nic good for public liability or can another party be recommended???? ]:)
Hello M8

Fundimental rule to remember IS..

If you have changed a CU..

every circuits charactereistic have been changed.

& most likely they have a different fuse protection device which has a different max permited Zs and possibly different current ratings??

e.g.

5A BS3036 now 6A BSEN60898

15A BS3036 now 16A BSEN60898

30A BS3036 now 32A BSEN60898

Larger meter tails & main earth conductor would also have implication on the actual Zs reading.

You must prove that you have reconnected the circuits correctly, no high res joints & correct polarity etc..

With regard to Insulation resistance it is often impractical to completely dissconnect everything from a circuit to check all combinations of IR test.

It can be permissable to check with L&N joined together with referencxe to earth 'CPC' conductor. and put 'LIM' in boxes for L-N test.

You inspector will need to see you reperform some of these tests and check your readings!

so try and find an easily accessible / isolatable radial circuit...

such as a cooker with socket outlet can be a good one!

SL.

R1 & R2 Sir. :p
E P reversal not accounted for...?

but who in all honesty checks this at every socket, or fitting?

works on a ring FINAL in principal, but I have seen it all f ucked up after bob has been at his work, esp in PME where your Zs will be comparable.....

ie, N = P on CCT, N=E at source

does any1 ever do a method 2 anymore.?

E P reversal not accounted for...?but who in all honesty checks this at every socket, or fitting?

works on a ring FINAL in principal, but I have seen it all f ***** up after bob has been at his work, esp in PME where your Zs will be comparable.....

ie, N = P on CCT, N=E at source

does any1 ever do a method 2 anymore.?
In the real world situations I think polarity is more of an issue where you replace an exsiting faulty socket front and you are working on auto-pilot...

so you just stick the wires in the new socket in the same relative positions as the old socket!!! :|

But its a different manufactured socket outlet with positions reveresd:(

Whereas when doing a rewire and you go round sticking all the socket fronts on they are all the same way and you just get in a routine....

cut.. trim.. fold.. insert.. screw.. check.. fix to wall,

I cant think of any time I have C*****-up polarity on a rewire job.. ?:|

But I have done it on on-off faulty socket replacement jobs (or fused spur for that matter!!!) :_| :_| Doh!!

Hello M8Larger meter tails & main earth conductor would also have implication on the actual Zs reading.
Perhaps, Special Location, but 'bad' connections' may be far more significant.

(Given the relatively short distant of these conductors, in most installations.)

Don

Perhaps, Special Location, but 'bad' connections' may be far more significant.(Given the relatively short distant of these conductors, in most installations.)

Don
Quite right Don..

this is actually what I meant...

I knew what I meant as I wrote it...

it sort of comes out if you read the next sentence as well..

"Larger meter tails & main earth conductor would also have implication on the actual Zs reading.

You must prove that you have reconnected the circuits correctly, no high res joints & correct polarity etc.."

Although I think I should have written "Changing to Larger meter tails...." and stick in a "Could" in place of "Would".... :( :(

anyway it was getting late when I wrote it and you have confirmed the meaning to clear up any miss understanding... :)

{we sometimes slip these bits in just to check you are awake!! :D :D}