extending cooker supply

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan.

Reaction score
got a job on at the mo where ive got to move the cooker to the other side of the kitchen so i will be extending the cable behind the kitchen units(it will still be accesable) and running it in some white trunking along the skirting board, as requested by the customer.my question is the supply as it is now is on the non rcd protected side,do i need to move it over to the rcd side?ive looked in my regs book and i cant find a definate answer,there is no socket just a switch so its just going to be the cooker on it.

got a job on at the mo where ive got to move the cooker to the other side of the kitchen so i will be extending the cable behind the kitchen units(it will still be accesable) and running it in some white trunking along the skirting board, as requested by the customer.my question is the supply as it is now is on the non rcd protected side,do i need to move it over to the rcd side?ive looked in my regs book and i cant find a definate answer,there is no socket just a switch so its just going to be the cooker on it.
Dan

Nice question

I dont see the need to put it on the RCD as the extended part is surface mounted and not in a wall

see what the night shift say

Kitchen is a specail location - no?

If the board has an RCD side and there's room - may be best?

But then there have been problems with cookers tripping RCD's in previous threads?

Leave it where it is but swap MCB fro RCBO? No nusance tripping but protected?

Identify the circuit as a dedicated circuit (cooker) at the cu and the switch and no rcd needed.

its already labeled up as the cooker circuit.

i would just move it but then there are 4 other circuits on the rcd and its only a 63 amp one and bloody square d so rcbo is out of the question lol.

What is the likelyhood of using all of the 63A?. I would stick it over to cover myself if theres enough spare.

Macca

Not much chance of being able to move it assuming atleast one of the protected ways is a final ring circuit. Diversity allowances will take it well over 63amps.

I`d move it. The extended part may well be ok; but you cannot sign off for a part of a final circuit. The whole of the circuit is your responsibility; not just the extended bit.

Move it to the other side of the board; maybe with an 80A RCD upgrade.

OR

Install second RCD to make it a twin RCD split board.

OR

Fit RCBo

OR......

Fit RCD in enclosure alongside CU, and route cct through that. Problem solved!

KME

If it can't be moved without increasing the cost of the job ie by having to fit an 80A RCD then surely you just list it on the cert as a code 4 for the existing part and make the client aware that for an additional cost it could be brought up to code.

All the remaining circuits not covered by the RCD are likely to fail the 17th requirement so if you modify the content of the CU for this circuit then as you have now carried out worked on the CU it could be read that you should now sign for a full CU and its content so all other circuits would need to be tested and covered by RCD / RCBO's and bonding dealt with.

This is the problem with the BS and in cases like this it

If ALL your work is surface AND NO socket outlet leave it NON RCD

and put deviation on cert! ;)

Ideal world RCD / RCBO preferable but practicality existing work Not retrospective do the best you can in the circumstances..

IF it had a socket outlet on the cooker switch I would say move it to RCD!

Main question..

Is its still as safe or safer than it was before you did your work???

e.g. if cooker wasn't moving... it would still be in use NON-RCD!

sometimes you just goto to do the best you can in the circumstances! ;)

what would i put as the deviation tho? cable surface mounted?not to 17th standards?