Extension Lead Bang

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thundrbeet99

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a socket which was converted to a double socket a few years ago. On this, one socket has a 4 way extension lead with a computer and 2 monitors plugged in. The second had a 4 way extension with a phone charging. When plugging in a laptop charger to this second lead, there was a bang/flash and the circuit tripped. 

Does anyone know the reason why this happened? I notice with other laptop chargers and extension leads that when plugging in while the socket is switched on, a spark can appear. Is this related? 

Second question, is having an extension lead on both sockets dangerous? 

Any help appreciated! 

Extension leads aren't great BUT if they are not overloaded and are fused correctly they are ok....more sockets would be better

thre are a LOT of lettuced ones about....and a lot of really lettuced USB sockets and chargers. I have been called to three that have gone 💥 in the last two months

on one at my wife's school a USB charger totally destroyed a double MK socket

A lot of the cheaper multi way sockets are downright dangerous, an accident waiting to happen, I've opened several up and to be honest some of the internals leave a lot to be desired, on the more expensive ones the contact tubes are very similar to the ones in a regular socket, fairly chunky, some of the cheaper ones have little more than a piece of metal about 1.5 mm diameter that barely makes contact with an inserted plug.

Thanks for all of your responses, much appreciated. Good to know it's not likely to be anything wrong with the sockets.

I got this extension lead from work but will buy better quality in future!