Exterior lights

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than decorative, I see little point in Up/Down lighters, either you light a brick or two above the light or you can see you feet when stood close to it, is not the point and purpose of a light, to light up all that’s around it? So guests can be seen or do people identify their guests by their shoes? 

Other than decorative, I see little point in Up/Down lighters, either you light a brick or two above the light or you can see you feet when stood close to it, is not the point and purpose of a light, to light up all that’s around it? So guests can be seen or do people identify their guests by their shoes? 
Decorative plus security is what I’m after tbh with lights being on from dusk till dawn.

Would wiring that isolation switch just be the same as wiring 1gang 1way switch? 

Thanks 

TBH I'm starting to worry you may be out of your depth doing new installation. If you have doubts at what you are doing I would urge you to get a professional in.

A double pole switch is exactly what its name suggests; it's two single pole switches operated together.

Hence you will find four terminals Live IN, Neutral IN, Live Out, Neutral Out.

So, yes, just like a common light switch except that on a room light we don't normally switch the neutral .

Thanks and I’m sorry, I am a bit of a novice but if pointed in the correct direction I like doing things myself and having a go. 

So am I correct in saying that I would take my

1.5m t&e from my existing switch live and put it into dp isolation switch L to L N to N whilst bonding the earths then from there 1.5m t&e onto the photocell. 

Live coming from switch into comm on photocell 

Neutral coming from switch into N on photocell

Earth from switch into earth on photocell

Then from photocell onto lights using 1m t&e.

Live from lights into L1 in photocell 

Neutral from lights into N in photocell 

Earth from lights into Earth at photocell.

Any help would be great 👍🏻

Yes, that sounds OK. There is no benefit in 1.5mm over 1.0mm for what you are doing but it's equally acceptable.
Defo sounds ok to you? 
Any other advice on the easiest option on routing cables through out the house. Is looping them up and down from the loft the easiest? Just looking for the best way to save me cutting lots of holes in the plaster. 

Thanks