External HDD for backup

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apache

Cow Fiddler ™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaps (and chapesses)

I've bought myself an external HDD to back up my laptop and I will be getting a new laptop at some point soon and want to move files etc across.

It came with Nero Backup Software and I'm unsure whether to use the software or just drag and drop specific files?

Any ideas?

Evenin` bud.

I`d use a backup program (nero or other) for a few reasons.

It will compress the archive, and mark the files you back up, as backed up.

You can choose to back up files that have been altered since the last backup, meaning that you don`t miss any *system* files, that you wouldn`t normally see.

It also verifies the copy, ensuring that the data is sucessfully copied.

as an added bonus, the recovery system ususally allows a minimal boot to recover your backup if necessary, when you may have lost the capacity to boot far enough to access the HDD in the normal manner....

PM if you want more info. I`ve not used nero, but regularly back my stuff up. This old laptop doesn`t have a very big internal drive, and the last time I changed my drive I had to buy a new windows key!

Evenin` bud.I`d use a backup program (nero or other) for a few reasons.

You can choose to back up files that have been altered since the last backup, meaning that you don`t miss any *system* files, that you wouldn`t normally see.

as an added bonus, the recovery system ususally allows a minimal boot to recover your backup if necessary, when you may have lost the capacity to boot far enough to access the HDD in the normal manner....

PM if you want more info. I`ve not used nero, but regularly back my stuff up. This old laptop doesn`t have a very big internal drive, and the last time I changed my drive I had to buy a new windows key!
Cheers mate. Installing it as I type :)

Cheers mate. Installing it as I type :)
ah! does that mean you will go quiet for about three days..

cuz your system will crash in approx 1/4hr then you will have to rebuild your whole system from scratch!!!! ]:) :^O :^O:^O:^O:^O

ah! does that mean you will go quiet for about three days..cuz your system will crash in approx 1/4hr then you will have to rebuild your whole system from scratch!!!! ]:) :^O :^O:^O:^O:^O
Maybe

What happens if my back-up is interupted and I need to restart my comp?

:eek:

The Don has several Backup HDD.

My boys and I use the cut/copy paste etc method of transfer for our important files.

The Godfather

Evenin` bud.I`d use a backup program (nero or other) for a few reasons.

hi sorry not up to speed with computer i was thinking of installing new hard drive in my lap top can you explain why you had to buy new windows key and how much it cost

thanks

When you replace the drive, you naturally have to re-install windoze, (unless you`ve a peecee with a spare drive bay)

When you re-install, windoze susses out fairly quickly that you aren`t putting it back on the drive it used to be on.

Ergo, it must be a copy (AFAWIC),

Therefore refuses to validate itself, and permanently tells you that your copy of windows is suspect, and may be illegal.

Makes perfect sense, from a purely logical POV, but is no use whatsoever to you or me!!!

hi kme the laptop came with windows loaded licensed with coa

would there be some sort of code to prove it was genuine

sorry if i sound a bit thick but i am

hi kme the laptop came with windows loaded licensed with coawould there be some sort of code to prove it was genuine

sorry if i sound a bit thick but i am
Look on the bottom for a holographic sticker

As am I. However, genuine or not - when "exported" to a different hard drive, it assumes it has been copied; and refuses to accept product key

"This copy of windows is not genuine" :( :( :(

New product key - 2 years ago when I needed it :

this is not good news a rethink on changing the hd has sprung to mind

thanks for all your help lads

this is not good news a rethink on changing the hd has sprung to mindthanks for all your help lads
Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

That`s why I`m putting up with this.......

Until I can afford a new one with a 6TB drive:xPray(Santa? you listening, pal.....chum........winalot..........)

6 Tera Bytes

1000 bytes = 1 Kilobyte

1000 Kilobytes = 1 Megabyte

1000 Megabytes = 1 Gigabyte

do you see where this is going yet???????

usual laptop HD- 5 yrs ago - 20 Gigabyte

usual laptop last year - 200-400 Gigabyte

1000 Gigabytes = 1 Terabyte.

HOWEVER:

1. Data always expands to fill the available space of a hard drive......

2. circa 1989. Bill Gates (founder, microsoft), quote:

"Nobody will ever need more than 16 Megabytes of memory on their computer."

Oh, how the mighty have (NOT) fallen!

FYI

A byte is the amount of information contained in any one character, be it a letter of the alphabet, number, blank space, mathematical symbol, etc, etc

OK?