extractor Fan for Bathroom

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icemen

Reaction score
Hi Guys

New to the forum so hello everyone.

Currently got a extractor connected to light switch so when you switch light on the fan comes on, however it's not to powerful and the room fill up with mist condensation on the walls when the shower is used. Looking to change it for a good powerful extractor fan.  Need some advise from the experts in this forum as to which one is best to get or give me a couple to choose from?

Current set up is just standard on the external wall.

thanks

ice

What have you got?

Are you sure its outlet isn't blocked for instance by stuck vent louvres or a muck-clogged outlet grille? 

If it's piped through a roof space or ceiling void is the pipe intact, or could it be just drawing air from the loft, rather than the shower room?

Is there adequate ventilation INTO the shower room to allow it to work? It can't draw air from a sealed space. (Try with the door or window left open.)

If it's fully serviceable but just not meeting your needs then try to find the specification of what you have and then look for a better specification one. Most makers quote the airflow capability as cfm  (cubic feet per minute).

As Andy says  ,  a centrifugal fan    ( like a round drum )   has more humph  as opposed to an axial fan  ( like a ship's propeller)   

What size is the bathroom ? 

Does your fan continue to run for a set time  after the light is switched off  ?  

No extractor fan will rid a bathroom of condensation .... you need heat to reduce condensation.

As Geoff1946 says try it with the door slightly ajar and see if it improves, this time of year, leaving the window open will only add to the issues as you will draw more cold moist air into the room.

hope this helps

I dont want  centrifugal fan as that usually fitted in loft space.  I just need a axial fan like my current set up, its connect to the light but no timer just goes off with the light.  its not powerful enough to suck the steam out.  nothing blocking it. wall is only about 30-40cm deep.  think something like Envirovent Silent 100T will do the trick? is this the most powerful axial fan on the market? I was looking at xpelair premier cf20t but got put of with the reviews on amazon as everyone saying the the fan falls off and very cheaply made.

I dont want  centrifugal fan as that usually fitted in loft space.  I just need a axial fan like my current set up, its connect to the light but no timer just goes off with the light.  its not powerful enough to suck the steam out.  nothing blocking it. wall is only about 30-40cm deep.  think something like Envirovent Silent 100T will do the trick? is this the most powerful axial fan on the market? I was looking at xpelair premier cf20t but got put of with the reviews on amazon as everyone saying the the fan falls off and very cheaply made.

Your house or rental ?

your budget ?

buy cheap, buy twice

and you haven’t answered the comments about the gap under the door

Gap under door is standard gap so the door doesnt scrape on the floor.  Id say about 1-2cm

My house

Budget is around £100.  

Has to be on wall not ceiling 

Last edited by a moderator:
Iceman  ,   As above , what size is your bathroom  ,  length  X Width  X height .     A large room would need a 6"  fan . 

Wall fans like your are generally efficient as they're almost direct to outside  ( No ducting)  

The size of the room determines the size of the fan  and I'd suggest the wiring is upgraded  to include a fan over-run   

Don't become frustrated. Despite the asides, members here  are actually trying to help you!

Most bathroom installations have an extractor fan. They are normally 100 millimetre diameter, (4 inch), fans, and usually have a variable run-on time after the lights are turned off. This seems to suit most people and buildings. The cheap/expensive aspect generally affects lifetime rather than performance.

Now, as I stated earlier, if everything else is OK but an "ordinary" fan doesn't meet your needs, you really need to look at the performance specifications  in terms of "cubic feet per minute", (cfm).

BUT, to achieve a significant change you are likely to want the next size up, which is a 150mm (6 inch) and the corresponding larger duct through the wall will be needed. 

The emphasis on under-door clearance is to ensure that air can get into the room. Only a vacuum pump, (not a fan) can remove air from a room where replacement air can't get in

Yes existing fan that is on the wall. What dont you understand?

I was thrown by the comments about the inline fan

the main reasons fans don’t perform are:

1. Insufficient air gap under the door

2. Window left open

3. Worn out fan

4. Blocked vent/or inline vent is too long for weak fan

5. Room is too big for the fan

6. Fan doesn’t have an overrun timer

7. Shower is run very hot and generates more steam ..

i would recommend an icon 30 with overrun timer set to at least 10 minutes and a minimum gap under the door of 10mm

what is the heating in the bathroom?

I don't think I have seen a current fan on sale that does not meet the building regulations extraction rates...………………...

BUT...

I have come across loads with insufficient run-on timer duration  and/or

insufficient "inlet ventilation"... e.g typically under door.

:popcorn

I don't think I have seen a current fan on sale that does not meet the building regulations extraction rates...………………...

BUT...

I have come across loads with insufficient run-on timer duration  and/or

insufficient "inlet ventilation"... e.g typically under door.

:popcorn

Insufficient heating plays a large part too