Extractor fan

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamesp132

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could advise me, ive recently converted the garage into a utility and all the wiring has been done, ive been advised that under building regs that my extractor fan needs to be wired to the lighting, it’s currently on a separate switch, ive looked through part F but can’t seem to find anything, would anyone know if that is part of the regs or it can be on a separate switch, thanks 

Utility rooms and Kitchens used to be on a separate switch. If you installed a fan that operates in the background and then boosts its speed when switched I can’t see there being a problem? 

Is it on a separate, "separate" switch or is a double switch?
The light switch for the utility is on the wall before you open the door going into the utility and the switch for the fan is under a wall unit on the other side of the wall inside the utility 

Utility rooms and Kitchens used to be on a separate switch. If you installed a fan that operates in the background and then boosts its speed when switched I can’t see there being a problem? 
I don’t think it’s one that operates in the background, it’s a manrose lp100st 15w extractor fan from screw fix 

from the envirovent website, quoute from part F:-

Any new kitchen, bathroom (or shower room), utility room or toilet should be provided with a means of extract ventilation to reduce condensation and remove smells.

so there's no actual requirement to vent at all. 

Any new kitchen, bathroom (or shower room), utility room or toilet should be provided with a means of extract ventilation to reduce condensation and remove smells.

Hello there. I was looking for something similar too. Is there anyone online who can help with this? Because as you know, pandemic conditions. I really appreciate your answers in advance.

So if it should have it doesn’t that mean you would expect to see one fitted? 
isn’t that like saying all vehicles should have brakes….does that mean it isn’t a requirement? 

So if it should have it doesn’t that mean you would expect to see one fitted? 
isn’t that like saying all vehicles should have brakes….does that mean it isn’t a requirement? 
I would expect vehicle standards probably say 'must have' brakes capable of stopping in xyz distance. If there wasn't a requirement they wouldn't test your brakes to xyz for your MoT. 

I would expect vehicle standards probably say 'must have' brakes capable of stopping in xyz distance. If there wasn't a requirement they wouldn't test your brakes to xyz for your MoT. 
I agree, so therefore a fan should be installed to avoid condensation issues? It’s not just a case of installing a fan for the purpose of having a fan, it’s to be installed to reduce condensation and bad odours? 

I agree, so therefore a fan should be installed to avoid condensation issues? It’s not just a case of installing a fan for the purpose of having a fan, it’s to be installed to reduce condensation and bad odours? 
but it says 'should' not must, so there is a get out clause in the wording. There must be circumstances where it just isn't possible or the customer can't afford it, so as per most of the regs it's not completely compulsory even if it is a really good idea. 

but it says 'should' not must, so there is a get out clause in the wording. There must be circumstances where it just isn't possible or the customer can't afford it, so as per most of the regs it's not completely compulsory even if it is a really good idea. 
So it’s a failure on the English language? 
https://www.google.co.uk/search? You