Eyeball replacement.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been asked to replace 5 eye-ball type downlights at the house of a mates girlfriend. He rang in a panic last night "There was a big flash in the kitchen and the lights went out". I went round armed with a couple of lead lights and removed the light unit that he said had flashed, and sure enough the poorly fitted B&Q fitted had fused the wires together and melted the plastic cover above the bulb holder.

Question 1: As a level 3 student of the dark art will I be alright changing like for like in a kitchen without any certification?

Question 2: Any suggestions for a replacement? The cutouts in the ceiling are about 115mm in diameter so neat little GU10 type fittings are to small and I was thinking of something low energy if poss as she currently has 5 60w R63 bulbs.

Thanks in advance

OOTD

Question 2: Any suggestions for a replacement? The cutouts in the ceiling are about 115mm in diameter so neat little GU10 type fittings are to small and I was thinking of something low energy if poss as she currently has 5 60w R63 bulbs.

Thanks in advance

OOTD
I am restricted in what I can offer due to the cut out size of 115mm. Most recessed LV/GU10 or low energy are smaller. We do offer a LV retrofit for the R63 from Aurora

You will need a transformer plus a firehood if a fire barrier is to be maintained.

cef do a chrome washer style spacer surrounds for just such lights, standard downlights would then fit, sound naff but dont look to bad if you ride past on a horse, on a dark night with the rain in yer face...

Since no-one has answered your first question:

Question 1: As a level 3 student of the dark art will I be alright changing like for like in a kitchen without any certification?
ANYONE can change like for like AFAIK :)

Thanks for the suggestions lads, I have forwarded the links to my mates girlfriend I would not dream of offering my opinion on the interior design of her kitchen. If she thinks the lights will be alright without the aid of Bettys horse then I respect that. All I'm after is the bit of screwdriver experience without breaking any rules.

Thanks again or the suggestions. :)

I have been asked to replace 5 eye-balls type downlights at the house of a mates girlfriend. He rang in a panic last night "There was a big flash in the kitchen and the lights went out". I went round armed with a couple of lead lights and removed the light unit that he said had flashed, and sure enough the poorly fitted B&Q fitted had fused the wires together and melted the plastic cover above the bulb holder.Question 1: As a level 3 student of the dark art will I be alright changing like for like in a kitchen without any certification?

Thanks in advance

OOTD
blimey didnt think the human eyes could be changed that easily isnt it better to let a doctor or surgeon change your eye ball so it makes you see easier.

:^O :^O:^O:^O:^O

Aurora do a 13 w fire rated tilt down light 125 mm cut out good lux output part no : AU-DLT222

I must be honest (a bit off topic, but.. both mine need replacing, but I suppose that's the downfall of getting 'on' a bit, like..)..

:( :_|