fault electric shower

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4ttyd

Reaction score
hi,

Was called out to a faulty shower, my problem is... the shower works on cool and high settings but when turned to very high the shower gives a massive bang and spark and the breaker trips..... has anyone encountered this before, or does anyone know what generally goes faulty with showers, as it is about 10 years old... is it the element or water tank????

regards matt

Morning m4ttyd,

Welcome to the forum.

Someone Will answer your question.

Regards,

Admn.

Hi.

Welcome to the forum. :D

First off, what load does the shower pull? What size is the cable and fuse for the shower circuit? It's common for householders to go out and buy a 11kW monster shower to replace an old 7-8kW one but not think about upgradinging the size of cable and fuse.

Some showers have two elements in them. So one element may be up the creek, you'll have to take the shower apart and megger the elements to see if there is a short on one of them. Check for melted wiring and overloading while you are there.

Welcome to the day forum

there have been threads a while back about showers and the cost of the bits

stupid money

As Mr Sword has pointed out test the shower circuit and make sure its capable to do the job and quote for a new shower relevent to the cct

Evenin` m8.

One of the elements or associated wiring is u/s.

Pull it apart if its out of warranty - if its wiring or microswitch, then repair. If the can (element) is gone, chuck it away.

HTH

KME

hi,Was called out to a faulty shower, my problem is... the shower works on cool and high settings but when turned to very high the shower gives a massive bang and spark and the breaker trips..... has anyone encountered this before, or does anyone know what generally goes faulty with showers, as it is about 10 years old... is it the element or water tank????

regards matt
Hi m8 welcome :D

I presume when you say Cool / high / very high settings.

you are referring to three heat option push button (or dial selector).

Not the general hot/cold flow rate dial.

Your average electric shower has two element which are somewhere around

10ohms to 12ohms each..

the cold setting has NO elements in circuit.

The high (or warm) setting has One element in circuit.

The very high (hot) setting has Both elements in circuit.

There are also some micro switches often mounted on a pivot-able assemble that only allows the power to get to the element if the the water pressure is correct.. (i.e. stop it burning itself out)

From the sound of what you are saying I would guess one of your elements has gone.

Generally if the micro switches go, you don't get hot water at all..

and they don't normally have any contact with any bits to spark or bang?

But the element probably has contact with a metal cylinder... (which I assume you have, cuz it is 10 years old)

Modem ones are more plastic construction.

The only other bit I would think is a melted wire..

overheated from loose spade connector on part of the internal wiring.

making contact with a bit that it shouldn't?

I would bet if it is 10years old.. the cheapest solution is to replace it...

If it was nearer 5 years I would say have a go at getting a spare part

but if you were gong to buy a spare heater assembly it is probably going to be

I would concur with that. :D
You Mr S' will only be allowed to concur...

If you go and make us all some of your best Ice-cream..

Has been a cracking day up here...

Just right for enjoying some of Mr S' best secret recipie.. :) :) :)

hmmmm! :x :x