Fire alarm mains supply

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The supply mains cable must be wired in a fireproof cable. An unswitched spur is not good enough for local isolation. You should fit a grid arrangement with a keyswitch and fuse to get the double pole isolation. I expect this will eventually filter through to all items that have an unswitched spur Even i got it wrong untill a couple of years ago.

Yes, it should also have its own Isolator with mcb, ideally lockable or fish key type and not spured off from a socket or light supply, it should be labled "Fire Alarm Supply do not switch off", on a red notice board or Fade Free Durable sticker.

Yes, it should also have its own Isolator with mcb, ideally lockable or fish key type and not spured off from a socket or light supply, it should be labled "Fire Alarm Supply do not switch off", on a red notice board.
I recently quizzed the NIC about this. I always used to fit a separate red switch fuse labeled 'Fire alarm, do not switch off'. I can find no reference to the separate isolator in either BS7671 or BS5839.

BS 5839 25.2 c to f)

"To facilitate local isolation during maintenance, suitable means should be provided for double pole isolation of the low voltage supply circuit that serves the power supply and control equipment."