Fire Alarms

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay_t

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting into fire alarms (installation and testing), i've only recently qualified about 6 months ago and am looking to add as much diversity to my work as possible.

I understand there are regs, i have BS5839-1 and i know there are others i'll probably need in order to ensure compliance for different types of buildings but, in addition to the publications, what would you guys who are working in this field recommend in the way of training/certification?

I've seen the FIA site with their modular courses and the NICEIC do a 2 day course for alarms and emergency lighting?

Any recommendations? Is it worth joining a body like th FIA or is it acceptable to do this kind of work without a registration to a body like that?

No need to belong to a body unless doing bigger installations - it looks good on quotes etc., but you will obviously benefit from a training course cos its a minefiled. I use the tack of getting a rep / fire brigade/ LBC to spec system, and just fit and commission. That way I'm not responsible for the system design - it takes a lot of time to keep upto date as a 1 man band.

Try and get some subby work installing FA systems write to some of the big players they all have a small refurb sections where they use small firms to install. I used to work for Gent and the small firms could normally book the work in quicker.

If you get your foot in the door that way you can sit on the coat tale of the engineer as they normally like a runner while they sit a the panel. We would usually end up then getting these guys trained at our expense and use them to Pre-commission when times were busy.

Thanks guys, it's a bit difficult for me as i work full time doing maintenance in a school, they paid for all my training and my NAPIT registration, so i'm trying to build up a bit of work on the side to supplement my income.

Most of the work i do is small scale and at weekends, so getting on the books for someone like Gent might not be that easy.

The getting reps etc involved on the design side seems like a good route to start with though.

Thanks for the input.

Jt

I would suggest you take Ian932s advise and learn the fundemental wiring first a 2 day course will not be enough for BS 5389. Dont even go down the road of design.

Hang in and do subby work on the cabling you will learn the testing and commissioning eventually,Marking drawings supplying as fitted, Db readings everywhere, it is a minefeild.

All the best approach a small installation Co and leave the big boys until you get some experience.

A lot of time there will be changes to the wiring as most design work is from drawings.

Always walk the job first.