Fire detection system question.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
Been asked to look into a fire detection system for a small factory unit, upstairs is all office space but down stairs is a metal workshop, lots of welding drilling & all manner of smoke producing work going on. (I've passed the job over but curiosity has the better of me).

Anyway my question is; due to the high possibility of smoke/fumes produced in a working day downstairs, could the smoke detection heads be done away with & manual call points be used at exits & base of stairs instead?

Been asked to look into a fire detection system for a small factory unit, upstairs is all office space but down stairs is a metal workshop, lots of welding drilling & all manner of smoke producing work going on. (I've passed the job over but curiosity has the better of me).Anyway my question is; due to the high possibility of smoke/fumes produced in a working day downstairs, could the smoke detection heads be done away with & manual call points be used at exits & base of stairs instead?
Hello m107

What ive done in the past is call on a rep from one of the suppliers I use channel safety systems. They can tell you what is needed ie design a system. There is no charge for this. They then put a price together for equipment you add your time and what cables you need etc. job done it saves all that reading up of the regs and they no what is needed and what is suitable.

batty

Hello m107What ive done in the past is call on a rep from one of the suppliers I use channel safety systems. They can tell you what is needed ie design a system. There is no charge for this. They then put a price together for equipment you add your time and what cables you need etc. job done it saves all that reading up of the regs and they no what is needed and what is suitable.

batty
Yep thats a good tip to know! :) ;)

in the process of doing 20 flats had a company called Emergi-light they do a free design on your emergency lights and fire alarm and when you're finished they will commission for

Hi M107

I know I am a new boy on the forum but I have a design guide (easy to understand) for fire alarm systems and one for emergency lighting. If it's of any use to you pm me you email address and I will send them through to you.

I do quite a bit with fire alarms and e.lights.

Would be good to post on here somewhere, if you are willing and there are no copyright issues. :p