First fault of the day.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M107

Billy-the-Kid
Reaction score
TP supply to an office.

When aircon is first turned on two of the son-T fittings turn off then instantly re-ignite. All the lighting in the office are son-T fittings all on the same phase, yet only two of the fittings are giving the fault.

Aircon & lighting are on seperate circuits but on same phase (L2).

I turn up & first thing the manager says

"the aircon has been tested & not causing the fault, we've had 3 other electricians come in to look at the lights & they all say they cant work out whats happening"

Right can I isolate the db?

"no not during work hours"headbang

Dont you just love this type of thing, called in then cant do sod all till out of office hours.

Anyway the fault finding should be interesting? :|

My money is on the external ignitors/control gear.

But wont know till the manager gives the nod for me to get in on a down day or evening.

Bar-steward that one, strange that it could be 2 faulty lights, do you go for trying another son-t, but that or the others could play up at any time if renewed, then later on your called back, or do you try and move the lights to another phase, checked the loading on the phases yet!!

Might just be too much switch on current which is dropping the 2 sensitve igniters in and out.

Think I might prefer to swop the lights to another phase then fire up the air con a couple of times that way good diagnostic and it costs you nothing.

Mike.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought of swapping the phases, infact was gonna do it today but the office manager wouldnt let me isolate the db, hence I've now gotta wait for them to decide when I can get in outside of office hours to do any isolated works.

The site maintenance guy has changed the lamps Andyc