first job mist

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisgjudd

Reaction score
hi guys, finally got my first telephone call to ask to fit a new cooker, electric double oven. They have an existing one. The instant thoughts i had was at what wattage can i not put the cooker on a 30/32amp, should i use 6 or 10mm, and its just the case of a new piece of cable do i do a minor works??

Also just for arguments sake whats the best practice if the cooker socket circuit is not man enough for the new cooker and there isn't room at the cu, can i add an additional fuseway seperate to the cu supplying eg 45a.

Realizing these are a reflection of my greenness but i like to get things right, any help greatly appreciated.

Chrisgjudd

hi guys, finally got my first telephone call to ask to fit a new cooker, electric double oven. They have an existing one. The instant thoughts i had was at what wattage can i not put the cooker on a 30/32amp, should i use 6 or 10mm, and its just the case of a new piece of cable do i do a minor works??Also just for arguments sake whats the best practice if the cooker socket circuit is not man enough for the new cooker and there isn't room at the cu, can i add an additional fuseway seperate to the cu supplying eg 45a.

Realizing these are a reflection of my greenness but i like to get things right, any help greatly appreciated.

Chrisgjudd
Chris

Have you seen the job ?????

There's nothing stopping him fitting a mini CU next to the Main CU or in the Kitchen ete, is there?

Or he could even use the existing way in the board, currentl used to supply the ccu.

Best thing is to go and see the job in the flesh before you start any planning etc, who knows what you will find when you get there!

When you do take your time and chk everything, dont rush and miss stuff (which is very easily done)

hi guys, finally got my first telephone call to ask to fit a new cooker, electric double oven. They have an existing one. The instant thoughts i had was at what wattage can i not put the cooker on a 30/32amp, should i use 6 or 10mm, and its just the case of a new piece of cable do i do a minor works??Also just for arguments sake whats the best practice if the cooker socket circuit is not man enough for the new cooker and there isn't room at the cu, can i add an additional fuseway seperate to the cu supplying eg 45a.

Chrisgjudd
HIYA MATE I AGREE WITH THE OTHERS, GO AND LOOK, EVALUATE THE JOB, IF CONSUMER IS OLD AND EARTHING NEEDS UPDATING, TELL THEM, YOULL BE SURPRISED HOW HAPPY PEOPLE ARE WHEN YOU EXPLAIN WHATS NEEDED TO MAKE SAFE, SO THAT WILL MEAN MORE

HIYA MATE I AGREE WITH THE OTHERS, GO AND LOOK, EVALUATE THE JOB, IF CONSUMER IS OLD AND EARTHING NEEDS UPDATING, TELL THEM, YOULL BE SURPRISED HOW HAPPY PEOPLE ARE WHEN YOU EXPLAIN WHATS NEEDED TO MAKE SAFE, SO THAT WILL MEAN MORE

Indeed m8. Is it me, or does anyone else get the impression of schizophrenia abounding????
I try to keep up with things on here. I usually do other stuff too. I've not even checked my hotmail yet. Tonight it's manic. I'm knackered just saying hi. Poor ole admin 2 is working her socks off playing 'hostess with the mostess' comparing cardiff stories.

I'm about ready for a nap

:D

I try to keep up with things on here. I usually do other stuff too. I've not even checked my hotmail yet. Tonight it's manic. I'm knackered just saying hi. Poor ole admin 2 is working her socks off playing 'hostess with the mostess' comparing cardiff stories.I'm about ready for a nap

:D
Lightweight ! Guiness Drink

Chrisgjudd
Just take a feed off the nearest ceiling rose. You may have trouble terminating 6mm in there though. 6 core alarm cable will do the trick. ; \

Just take a feed off the nearest ceiling rose. You may have trouble terminating 6mm in there though. 6 core alarm cable will do the trick. ; \
c'mon mate. CONSTRUCTIVE help always appreciated.

:|

Chrisgjudd
A 30/32 circuit will be adequate for most ovens even double ovens. But take a look a job. A minor works certificate will be adequete for changeover.

batty

Sorry... first night excitement and all that.

On a serious note firstly check the wattage of the new one.

Then check to see if the Dis Board is up to scratch with earthing conductors and main equipotential bonding present.

Check to see if theres a spare way.

Sorry... first night excitement and all that.On a serious note firstly check the wattage of the new one.

Then check to see if the Dis Board is up to scratch with earthing conductors and main equipotential bonding present.

Check to see if theres a spare way.
It's so easy to be helpful when you try. :)

Chrisgjudd
Hi Chris..

as has been pointed out..

You really do need to go and have a look at the job..

A cooker is most probably the second largest electrical appliance in the property after an electric shower!

So no assuming things are OK without checking!

Find out the power rating of the new cooker..

remember diversity to be applied.. (Pg 96 OSG.)

first 10A + 30% of rest + 5A if socket outlet..

Check length of cable run & probable thermal insulation etc..

REMEMBER!

REG 131.8 Additions & Alterations.. temp OR permanent

must check condition of existing equipment / loading / earthing & bonding!

Obviously if not adequate.... it could ramp a few more costs onto the job.

Can be handy to have copy of Regs available to show customer if they question your judgement if stuff need upgrading! :) ;)

A cooker is most probably the second largest electrical appliance in the property after an electric shower!
Specs my cooker is way bigger than my shower. I could fit my shower in a rucksack............. :p

You've been quiet tonight :D

I could be wrong here, but it seems to me that they are just asking for the new cooker to be connected to the existing circuit replacing the cooker they have now.so as long as the circuit is the correct rating etc no problem.