Flats kVA requirement

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzingjimbo

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am converting a commercial property into two flats (1 x 1 bed and 1 x 2 bed).  Above the property are 3 further 2 bed flats.  Currently there are 2 x single phase supplies and I have been told that I need a new 3 phase supply in order to power the 5 flats.
UK Power Networks have asked me what kVA requirement we have for each of the flats - something that has stumped me - can anyone help of give advice please?  I've been told I can have up to 69 kVA on the 3 phase supply.

The existing flats all have gas boilers and the two new flats will have electric boilers.

Thank you in advance.

Dare I suggest you ask the spark you are going to use?
I haven't yet appointed one - the project is only in planning stage but I need to get the power sorted because they're saying a lead time of 12 weeks. 

I would appreciate any help.

I haven't yet appointed one - the project is only in planning stage but I need to get the power sorted because they're saying a lead time of 12 weeks. 

I would echo Murdoch's earlier point..

"Dare I suggest you start asking potential sparks....?"

who can then discuss the actual details of what your proposed design entails...

as from the vague information so far it is impossible to say what you need. 

( Personally I would want to either see the physical building(s) and/or full scale plans..

and details of all proposed circuits & loads per flat, before committing to any suggestions of supply size. )

:coffee

69KVA is  23kVA per phase or 100A per phase.

If that is going to feed 5 properties then all but one of them will be limited to 50A each or just over 11KVA  That is NOT electric boiler territory.

Firstly I am surprised the DNO suggest that. I thought they would no longer split a supply for a flat conversion, and insist on a new proper supply for each dwelling.

Secondly I think electric boilers are the most ridiculous idea invented.  If you are going to heat with real time electric at least consider a heat pump. but the property needs to be designed for it but since these are in effect new builds, that is no problem.

And if there is any communal areas this would need its own meter and fuseboard

PLUS what about planning for EV chargers?

12 weeks  - to get a decent team of trades people you'll maybe waiting 6 months or even  dependent on where in the UK you are - so 12 weeks is nothing

Not sure I would go for electric boilers. Electric undersink water heaters , electric shower and electric rads of some sort is probably easier and cheaper and saves plumbing for water rads or hot water from a single point. 

Flats normally end up on a 63A sub main, my own large victorian house is on a 60A main fuse, so that should cover anything you need with some head room.