Floor sockets in a concrete floor

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davetheglitz

Electrician
Reaction score
Hope you can help me out here - no experience of a job like this ever!

I've been asked to quote on a new extension - high end oak framed with lots of glass.

The floor is going to be built up as solid, insulation, 100mm concrete block with 75mm screed on top.

Piped underfloor heating is going to be fitted fed from an air source heat pump - presumeably within the 75mm screed.

The customer wants metal finish floor sockets and LED micro spots to highlight the oak frame lit from the bottom.

I've not done a job like this before - but for the sockets I'm thinking of screwing 47mm back boxes to 20mm wood backing into the 100mm concrete, fitting uzi boxes and running cable between in 20mm flexible conduit prior to the screed going down.

For the LED highlights I'm thinking of adapting deck lights and using a twin back box to keep the transformer in with a blanking plate - and using the same idea with flexible conduit to route cabling.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan - or is there a better way?

Thanks in advance!

Sounds a very tricky one.

Are you SURE the UFH is going in a screed? Most solid floor UFH I see is with the pipes cast into a concrete slab (on top of insulation) and the concrete polished. this is done as the foundations are laid, before the house gets built on top. That would mean all the cabling etc would need to be laid in at that early stage too.

Whatever you decide, be certain of the floor make up before you go to far.

I done a pre-fab concrete house a couple of years back on the rock that had floor sockets and UFH(although that was electric,

why the wooden backplate for the boxes?

I just laid 47mm back boxes and measured them about 10mm below FFL, normal high impact 20mm pvc conduit.

cable routes can be a pain to keep clear of the UFH and obviously allow it to be placed.

Was thinking of the wood backing to get the back boxes within 5mm of the floor level - can just imagine some numpty filling the lot up otherwise!

I initially thought of the high impact conduit route - but thought that I could get a smooth curve with the flexible so cable could be replaced at a later date if necessary - just remember a fault I had where there was conduit underfloor and the water table had risen. Nothing would budge!

last one I did

site concrete, visquene, kingspan, UFH pipes, screed. My cable were run in plastic conduit within the Kingspan to points on the walls or island units.

floor sockets are a Barrymore. Invariably in the wrong place and you are committed to always having your 'kit' over the socket or F close to it. A major multi national client of mine has banned floor sockets 'cast in situ' in their offices due to the adverse effects of the humble paperclip. W A F mess one of them makes when it comes into contact with a 'line' pin on a plug and the metal surrounding the socket orifice... :coat

just use large sweepers on the conduit, flexi usually has a rough/ribbed inner, so not that any easier to pull through on corners ime.

yep, I get your wood idea now, simply as a spacer, good enough,

as for the Tx in a double box, Im not sure if that will let it 'breathe' enough...

Dave, the one thing I would deffo advise, get a signed and measured drawing from the client as to where they want all this floor stuff........

it could save a lot of arguments later on.

Sorry for a silly question but can you get away with installing floor sockets as the got to be 450mm to the bottom of the socket ain't they?

Floor boxes are not considered for Part M and do not need to do so, they are fixed for a purpose and not intended for general use in that respect.

I think I know lmao he was just referring to face metal socket fronts not installed directly on the floor doooow my mind ain't working at all tonight sorry everyone :D

Oh right I get it now I have read your previous post

I think I know lmao he was just referring to face metal socket fronts not installed directly on the floor doooow my mind ain't working at all tonight sorry everyone :D
:coffee

Or have a few more of these

Guinness

It will all come clear around 3 in the morning, but wait until your head hurts no more before telling us because we will be just as bad by that time.

Think I would go galv conduit if possible - you only have to have some muppet later decide they want to fit a rubber door stop in the floor.......