Florescent Tube tripping fusebox

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John280643

Reaction score
Hi

If the fuse box lighting circuit trips every time I turn the switch on, and continues to do this when I remove the tube, and continues to do it when I remove the starter do I have to replace the unit, or would it trip anyway with the tube removed, please, and should I be looking at a faulty tube or starter?

The first time it tripped it did not do so immediately it was switched on, but whilst it was on, some time later.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

John

The fitting and that part of the circuit needs to be tested to verify if there is an issue with those parts.

Thanks for your replies. I am very grateful for your help.
The tube is under a pelmet and I really don't need a light there anymore. There is another light in the room (a double switch by the door)
If I remove the florescent fitting and don't replace it, if the switch is turned on by mistake will there be any problem?
Or if I disconnected the wire in the double switch?

if you remove the light, the cable will need to be terminated into a suitable enclosure if its still live
Thanks Andy. If I disconnect it at the double switch, would that be OK? Or would putting wire nuts on the cable which connected to the light fitting be OK? (Do we use wire caps in the UK?) Otherwise, what would a suitable enclosure be, please? Some sort of junction box? I'd like it to be as small as possible.

Hi Andy. I take it you are not trade. If you pop to a diy store you can buy in line connector boxes. Make sure the switch is off. don’t disconnect any wires in the switch. if unsure turn the power off at the consumer unit.

Yep, DEAL WITH IT!
However knowing how picky some folk on here can be ( even if not retired engineers who were at one time asked to teach knitting at the WI) then I would have thought attention to detail would be paramount

Just saying
Getting a bit tedious, I was once a teacher.

Just saying. Mmm.

Last edited:
Thanks, Mike. I'm John - not Andy! No I'm not trade - just an old bloke trying to figure it out myself.
I've got the little connectors but not the box. If I don't have to disconnect any wires in the switch, it looks as though it's going to be easier than I thought. Thanks for your help, and thanks to Andy, Fleeting and Poni.