Fluke test leads

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo

Reaction score
Not so long back I bought a Fluke 1651. I needed a multifunction tester and had a ilimited budget so couldnt afford to go up market too much.

Anyway ive been happy with it. Could of done with an auto RCD looking back but no regrets yet really.

Ive read at one or two online communities that the test leads for Fluke meters are notoriously poor. To the point where they can effect the test readings. Ive not encountered any problems yet with them but would like to get a spare set in case they were to cause me problems one day and im on a job.

Is anyone familiar with the Fluke range and has anyone ever had to buy a new set of leads? I am wondering if there is a better quality set available than the ones supplied with the tester.

Thanks.

i have a fluke voltage tester and i miss placed the gs38 ends, sent fluke a email asking if they sold the ends seperate, they replied no you will need to buy a new tester!

what a joke!

but the answer to your question mate is no i dont no anywere lol

hi there,

Originally with the fluke multi's there was a design fault with the leads - and fluke would replace them free of charge.

I'm not sure what age/batch/period the replacement covered - you will need to contact fluke.

As for the test leads. Most the multi's use standard 4mm shrouded test leads - not specific to that make. So you could buy another make and use those.

Hope this helps

D.

What design fault are we talking Mate?

Apache has previously supplied the lost info, whereby you contact either Robin, or Megger (I`ve forgotten which - sorry). They ask for your s/n, and send out replacement leads (full set.)

My plug lead began giving iffy readings, until the phase wire "fell out" of the end of the 4mm plug!

Complete set of leads were supplied, completely FOC

KME a happy bunny

Nice to see im not the only one with one of these. I needed a tester sharpish and couldnt spend shed loads of cash at the time so went for it. Started thinking id made a bad decision when I found out about lead problems etc.

As I said mine seem to be functioning properly but its good to know theres a chance Fluke will supply replacements.

I noticed in the wholesalers a few days back that the Kewtech leads they were selling seemed to have the same ends (the plug in end) as my Fluke so maybe i'll enquire about those as they looked really good quality.

DaveTheGlitz had any trouble with it other than the leads?

Nice to see im not the only one with one of these. I needed a tester sharpish and couldnt spend shed loads of cash at the time so went for it. Started thinking id made a bad decision when I found out about lead problems etc.As I said mine seem to be functioning properly but its good to know theres a chance Fluke will supply replacements.

I noticed in the wholesalers a few days back that the Kewtech leads they were selling seemed to have the same ends (the plug in end) as my Fluke so maybe i'll enquire about those as they looked really good quality.

DaveTheGlitz had any trouble with it other than the leads?
No problems at all. I think it's probably a bit heavy on batteries - but it's dead easy to use and does the business. By way of contrast my partner has got a Metrel - and it's been nothing but trouble - and a pig to use.

Do you find it can sometimes take a while to provide you with a loop reading?

Also IR testing, sometimes it gives a >500V reading straight away and other times it shows (for example) 286 ohms then (with your finger still holding the test button) jumps immediately to 349 ohms, 460 and then finishes up on >500 ohms.

Gives the same reading just takes a while to get there sometimes.

Batteries are fine.

Hi there,

I believe the original fault with the test leads was due to inconsistent readings because of the poor crocodile clips.

D.

No problems at all. I think it's probably a bit heavy on batteries - but it's dead easy to use and does the business. By way of contrast my partner has got a Metrel - and it's been nothing but trouble - and a pig to use.

i have the metrel and 2 other sparks i work with from time to time only thing i had a problem with is high readings with the d lock non trip but i think thats the same with most meters maybe i have just been lucky

I had my leads replaced by fluke. Got proper ones now. :D

I also sent my Zs 3 pin plug back to them, it took a long time to sort out for various reasons, but I received a new one back this afternoon.

Thank You, Fuke UK LTD. :D