Found this dodgy cable on a PIR after Albainian rewire

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found this whilst carrying out a periodic report. The customer had just had the vacant property 'rewired' amongst other works and needed a certificate for rental use. That dodgy cable is a lead sheathed Vir.

DSC00095.jpg

Another angle,

DSC00094.jpg

Thats what happens when they take the cheapest quote, this time from Albanians.

Today i cut out a (looks like) 2.5 twin & Earth, grey sheath, red and black cores with a bare earth but all aluminium conductors, not seen this before but have heard about it from the oil/copper shortage in the mid seventies. Cant get the software to work on my new Nokia mobile phone, so no pic.

Today i cut out a (looks like) 2.5 twin & Earth, grey sheath, red and black cores with a bare earth but all aluminium conductors, not seen this before but have heard about it from the oil/copper shortage in the mid seventies. Cant get the software to work on my new Nokia mobile phone, so no pic.
Horrible stuff! Has to be terminated with some sort of chemical compound smeared on the aluminium as I recall or else it oxidises fast and then.................BANG! :(

Had it happen once to me on a three-phase supply that was using aluminium sectorial cable. Turned on the supply and the red phase blew up in my face! Gave me the collywobbles to say the least! :eek: