free helper

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themezza

Reaction score
are there any sparkies out there in the birmingham area who would want someone to help on weekend free of charge, as i am training at college at the moment and need to get some experience to help in my course and for the future life

cheers neil (castle bromwich)

Hi, Themezza, I,m based in Brum but don't work weekends unless no other option, Mon to Fri wears me out these days !! If any sparks Iknow need a hand I'll let you know.

Try putting a card in a couple of wholesalers trade counters .

Deke

does this offering to work for free really work?

i am genuinely curious

ive been told by a few sparks that the best way to get experience for your course is on the job work and if you are will to get that experience ,why not do it for nothing .You have more chance of some work if its for free that way. if you want to get on why not make some sacrifices(**** spelling)

Course it works, if you have a big job on would you take on a bit of free labour to help you get it done. Even if the people dont know much you can get them making the teas.

you aint going to get any on the job experience at college, i only do 2 nights a week and thats not enough, im not going to be working on boards when i start work, but i cant half make a cracking cup of tea. lol.: :^O

What collage you go to? south birmingham?? Im there on the full times 3220 course

i go to solihull college(woodlands campus) doing 2330 city and guilds at night school, 2 nights a week,

theory on mondays and practical on wednesdays 3 hours per night

its ok but its a bit of a rush just 6 hours a week but its a good crack with a nice bunch of lads

Good luck Neil - first for doing 2330 at night school, and second for offering to work for free for experience. I really admire your enthusiasm. Hope you get some work experience soon. Andy (sorry nowhere near Brum)

I was a bit concerned about working for nothing, Themezza, but admire you if thats what you need to gain experience.

Has the CITB apprentice scheme ceased to operate now, they used to place youngsters with sparkies and pay their wages for the first two years.

Deke

Fair play to you, your in the same boat as me. Im in the south birmingham doing the 3220 full time. Well they call it full time its one 13 hour day and a 4 hours one evening.

If any sparks want a hand in the week, one morning a week or mabey a day im offering my service for free. I need some experience as well.

Best of luck to you dude with your 3220 hope all goes well.

I was a bit concerned about working for nothing, Themezza, but admire you if thats what you need to gain experience.Has the CITB apprentice scheme ceased to operate now, they used to place youngsters with sparkies and pay their wages for the first two years.

Deke
Whats this scheme, youngsters? I'm twenty five and look like I'm going on thirty. Can I get away with being a youngster?

You dont need any helped do you mr Derk?

Sorry Matti, as I said on a previous thread, I started work when Elvis came out of the Army and before England won the World Cup so I think of someone learning the trade as a 16- 17 yr old !

The CITB ( Construction Industry Training Board) used to record lads taking C&Gs at colleges and try to place them with contractors.

It was all along time ago now and the world has moved on.

As regards help, I'm afraid the recession is begining to bite now !!!

Deke